Pregnant Guppy

atryeu

I bought this female guppy along with one other female on June 29th... The 2nd female died the following day and it killed my male the day after. The male has apparently "did his deed" though and my larger female that survived definatly got pregnant. I think it was about a week and a half ago I noticed she got rather fat and I'd been keeping an eye on her since. Today, about an hour or two ago, I noticed she is back to her normal size again. I have only had 1 pregnant female before this one and with my research I did, I found that they normally give birth within 22-34 days. Is it possible for them to give birth sooner? It's been exactly 20 days since I got her and she had contact with my male. She was not pregnant before then....

Just wanted to know :) I can still see her gravid spot but I have not seen any little babies anywhere yet. I do have a few (4) fake plants, one which is a bit to tall so part of it floats a little.... I'm not sure about today, but I know yesterday I seen her swimming in one spot for at least an hour I think it was. I didn't think anything of it though and didn't really pay attention to see if she grown anymore today or not. She definatly didn't look like she was ready to give birth LoL....

Water quality, if you need to know, is near perfect. I've been doing about a 10% daily change for the last few days to get rid of traces of ammonia that keep showing up in some tests, but otherwise:

Ph: 7.8

Ammonia: .25 (should be going down now)

Nitrite: .05 (Did a test on my tap water and it shows Nitrite between 0 and .05 but wouldn't it disappear in a cycled tank? o.0 Tank's been running almost 3 months, maybe a little longer now).

Nitrate: 5

Temp: 75-78 (depends on how hot it gets... no heater -_-)

Oh, she's alone in a 10 gallon tank right now :) The only other fishy I have is a male guppy in a 5 gallon.

Guest danielle92

Yes it is actually possible that female guppies can have there fry earlier mine was only pregnant for 19 days and her fry were healthy! :D

Okay, thanks :) I thought I'd heard a few people say something about it, but most people and places say it's no less then 22 days LoL.

Hmm, well, I hope a few fry survived if she had them.. Either that, or I hope that male got her a few more times o.0 No way I'm buying any fish from nooppee every again *goes on strike* and mmm is never our last stop when I make it uptown so I hate to risk buying fish there... Not to mention they are $3 a piece and that's spendy when the store sells them sick every time -_- *sigh*

Thanks again :) Guess I'll just keep an eye out. I'll need to keep my airpump turned off for now I guess. It causes way to much of a current and my mature adult female can't stand it anyways. I doubt a fry would do well with it -_- (is there any way to prevent so much surface disturbance? Between the filter (water line is all the way up as full as I can get it) and the airstone, the water moves around pretty fast and my guppy doesn't like it :( She spends a lot of time on the surface and has the hardest time swimming up there (dont' know why she doesn't like the rest of the tank. My other guppies always like swimming near the bottom rather than at the top LoL).

Your guppy may have been pregnant before you got her. The sperm can last for several broods in a guppy.

Also, if you have gravel in your tank, look down in the gravel, too. I have found guppy fry hiding down in between the gravel.

You can cut the disturbance from the filter if it is a hang on the back type, by draping a piece of filter floss in front of the outflow. I generally just cut a rectangle from the floss, hang it in front of the outflow and secure it by putting the lid down on the top corners of the floss. Hope this makes sense.

Yes it is actually possible that female guppies can have there fry earlier mine was only pregnant for 19 days and her fry were healthy! :D

364290[/snapback]

she was prolly bred wheny ou purchased her :)

Guest danielle92

No she could'nt be pregnant when I got her because when they were just a month old when the breeders seperated the fry by gender so they won't have more fry when there in the store. My mom asked them. My guppy was 3 months old when I bought her.

I also made sure mine was not pregnant when I got her o.0 I know they can save sperm for up to 5 or 6 broods :P I made sure I researched as much info as I could several months before I even started guppies :P

I have small gravel, but I don't know if anything could hide in it. Maybe, but I don't know. I know how small the fry are since my last female had a batch before she died so I know what to look for. No luck seeing anything though. I might have sucked some up when I changed some water the other day. I didn't notice she was a bit scrawnier until several hours later -_-

Thanks for the idea about the outflow. I have a piece wrapped around the intake tube right now that really hasn't helped much, aside for trapping all sorts of lovely odds and ends o.0

*sigh* I woke up this morning and my little female was stuck in one of the plants. I don't know how she got her large body in there o.0 I've had to help her out of a few spots (between 2 plants so far and between the glass and a floating plant 'leaf' (not sure how that one happened either o.0). Looks like she's just trying to hide somewhere. I hope she makes it :( My last female died within 2 days after giving birth :(

I think that's what happened with my last female guppy as well. Half the young, that didn't get eaten, were stillborn :( That female died 2 days later *sniff*

I really hope this one makes it, but I don't know :( She's much skinnier than she was this morning now and she keeps tilting a little like she's going to fall over on her side. She's staying upright okay right now, but I don't know if she'll make it :(

There's a tiny bit of salt, but not much. After the other female and my male died around the 1st, I did a salt treatment and this last saturday I started removing the salt from the water. Should I go ahead and replace a little more of it? I don't have much more salt left I can use and I'm not sure if we can pick up some more or not soon enough.

She's swimming around a little, but I can see she's having trouble :( I haven't seen her eat at all today, but I know she ate yesterday sometime. :)

I would go ahead and put salt back into the water. If you don't know what you have in there now, since you have been removing it, try a low dosage of 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of water.

Eating is a good sign. Good luck and please keep me posted.

*sigh* She didn't eat at all yesterday. I left a little food one one of those food rings over night but it's all still there so I removed it :( I'll try again later tonight.

I'll add a bit of salt back today as well. Not sure how much salt I have left though. A couple medium doses maybe. Not sure -_-

I added a little salt earlier and I also seen her eat a tiny piece of food or two. She doesn't like eating out of the food ring I have in there and anything I place outside of it swirls right around to the filter and gets pushed under water to fast -_-

Some filters like AquaClears and Whispers have a knob to turn down the flow. You can turn down the flow during feeding and then turn it up after the fish have eaten. You could also try draping a piece of filter floss in front of the outflow of the filter to cut down on the current.

Another trick you could try is to feed her a bit of freeze dried tubifex. These come in little cubes. You just break a tiny piece off of the cube, then when you put it in the tank you press it up against the glass and it will stick there. Guppies love to pick at these.

Yay! I just watched her eat some :) I crushed a little thing of flakes for my guppies when I got my first ones because their mouths are so much smaller than the flakes and they liked it this way better. All together, I think she may have eaten 1 full flake at least. I'll need to clean the extra that dropped to the gravel, but that won't be bad since I'm doing another small water change tomorrow anyways.

I don't have a spare piece of filter floss right now -_- I can't cut up one of the new unused ones yet since they are so spendy *sigh* I have one around my intake tube (in case there were any fry LoL) that I guess I could use.

My filter is a Regent. It came with the tank in a kit and doesn't have a way to turn the flow down :(

Thanks for the idea about the tubiflex as well. Would freeze dried bloodworms work? I have a little container of those. One of my bettas was a picky eater and would only eat bloodworms o.0 LoL I tried giving my old male guppy a bit of a bloodworm. He picked at it a little but wasn't as interested as he was in the flakes LoL.

I use quilt batting rather than filter floss. You can get a huge roll of it for just a few dollars at places like nooppee or a craft shop. Just buy the quilt batting that is 100% polyester without any additives such as moth proofing. Then you can cut it into any shape that you want. I cut it into rectangles and use this in my Whisper filters rather than buying filter bags. I just wrap it over the media frame and attach it at the top with the clips. I wonder if you could do the same with the Regent filter? I also cut rectangles to drape in front of the outflow in my betta tanks.

I don't know about the bloodworms, I have never bought those freeze dried.

I am glad to hear that your guppy is eating a bit :)

Hmm, thanks for the idea :) Next time I'm at nooppee, I'll check that out :)

Yay! She's eating more :) I put a little food in front of her and she looked like she was pretty hungry LoL. Hopefully she'll make it :)

Okay, thanks. I'll see if I can keep it in as long as I can. I really don't have much left and can't get uptown for at least 2 weeks possibly, but it's not a sure thing :( I'll go as long as I can though, and it shouldn't be bad since I normally only do a small change once a week :)

*pokes edit feature* I tried to just edit the post, but it said I don't have permission to edit the post -_-

I forgot to ask something :) LoL Any idea what would cause a bunch of little tiny bubbles to gather at the surface of the water? I noticed them this last week and they don't want to go away. I did a small water change each day last week to lower the ammonia down from .25 and the bubbles would keep coming back by the end of the day. I thought I seen something once about it, but I forget where and what it said. I'm doing my next water change on Saturday and will run all of my water tests before, but nothign should have changed other than ammonia hopefully being lowered.

Archived