Fish Won't Eat And Is Staying In A Single Spot!

Guest Oranda Man

Guest Oranda Man

If it's not one thing, it's another I tell ya!!! Ok, so, last Sunday my Orana took a trip up the syphon tube and had some eye damage, just some swelling and red spots around his eye. I transferred him from the 20-gallon tank to a 5-gallon hospital tank. The carbon filter was remoced and he was treated with Mela fix. On Friday morning he showed significant improvement and the tank Ammo and Nitrates/Nitrites were all at 0. I left to go to a wedding and returned Sunday evening, happy to see that his eye was fully repaired! However, much to my dismay the Ammo and Nitrate/Nitrites rose to 0.5ppm each. He would not eat and simply was remaining at a single spot close to the top of his tank.

I transferred him to the 20-gallon tank thinking he simply needed clean water. After 24 hours he showed no change so I put him back into the 5-gallon hospital tank (which was cleaned, recharged and tested @ 0ppm Ammo/Nitrate/Nitrite.)

As of this point in time he is simply hanging out in one section of the tank and not eating. His midsection looks quite bloated, so I am thinking his swim bladder is infected? I am treating him with Maroxy-Two at present, should I also treat him with salt as well? I also plan on doing 25% water changes everyday in order to ensure that the levels do not spiake as they did last time.

Your help is much appreciated...we got his eye fixed, now let's nip this one in the bud as well!!! :ill:D

I think you are looking at an internal infection of some type to cause the bloating and hanging at the top. It is generally bad news when they stop eating.

Continue the treatment of Marcyn II, unless someone can recommend a different treatment and keep the water conditions perfect with regular water changes as you mentioned. Good luck.

Archived