Ammonia Rising / Cycling?

fondoo

okay, my new 20gal tank ammonia is slowly rising. from 0 - .5 - 1.0. i've been monitoring the water ammonia for the past 2-3 days and it's still 1.0. i've been changing 25% water everday now. should i be worried?

I have buckets of water with prime dechlorinator in it. how long should the water sit before I can use it??

Need to know your pH and water temp to know whether 1ppm of ammonia is getting toxic or not.

You don't need to wait. When I do buckets, I add the prime (a baby medicine spoon works great to measure it) and then add the water, lug it to the tank and pour in it.

the pH level of the water been between 7.2 - 7.6. water temp is 76 degrees.

wow, i dont have to wait? i remember when i was a kid, my dad used to have buckets of water in the basement. i used to ask him what it was for and it was for the goldfish. supposely sitting down there to declorinate the water, no chemicals added.

Back then, most cities were using chlorine to disinfect the water. Chlorine gasses out when left sitting for 24 hours. Nowdays, lots of places have switched to using chloramine (chlorine and ammonia). It won't gas out. The only other reason I know of to let water sit out is if it is loaded with gasses (e.g. carbon dioxide).

So does your tap water contain any ammonia after it's dechlorinated with prime?

ok, if your pH is 7.6 and water temp is 76, I'd try and keep ammonia below 1ppm. Here's a page I put together on ammonia toxicity.

I am amazed at how little an amount of Prime is needed. For instance, I have a 10gallon. Did a 20% water change over the w/e. First time. And I left my water out over night, too! Adding two new gallons of water required almost NO prime! I couldn't believe it! I have no ammo in my water.

If it's okay, then I won't leave my water out overnight. That helps!

Cool.. Having no ammonia in your tap water will help. :)

Yea, it's really concentrated. and it's fine dechlorinating and then adding the water. just be sure to keep the temp of the change water close to the tank temp.

Archived