Plants And Salt

Roano

I need to salt my tank to .3%, and I have a Bannana plant, and several 'Water Lettuce', Salvinia natans; should I remove my plants or can they take that much salt?

You are kidding! I just ordered plants for my barrel pond. I have it salted just for good measure since the fish are new. Any suggestions on what to do with the plants.... maybe put them in a bucket by the pond. I ordered some duckweed, hornswort, and pennywort, just to give them some shade and oxygenation until my lily grows and offers some. Crud! Did I kill my water lily? :crp

Whenever I have to take my plants out of the tank or pond, I put them in a large rubber maid. When I took them out of the tank, It was still cold outside, so I put my lighting fixture on top of the rubber maid, but since its been pretty nice out now, I would say get a big rubber maid, or a bucket would work, and put them in there, and leave them next to the pond. The salt will kill the plants. Im not sure how long they can be in salted water before they will start to die, but I would definantly take them out ASAP.

Archived