Fish Is Dying!

Guest KK123

Guest KK123

My Oranda goldfish seems sick. No apparent scratch or any parasites on the body but I see very visible veins on his tail. No sign of broken fins or white foam, either. The fish was gasping for air (airlation and fileter are used), and today it seems it's difficult evern to try gasping anymore. All it can do is to float... It eats food, but that's pretty much the only time it moves.

Is it nitrite poisoning? I added biozime for a week, but since the nitrite level was so high for a few days even after water changes, I did 100% water change. The same filter/gravel are still there, and despite the change, the nitrite level keeps rising back to the toxic level next day for some reason.

I would greatly appreciate your help!! Hope the fish is alive tomorrow... :unsure:

Ammonia Level 0ppm

Nitrite Level was 5.0ppm. After water chnage, it's 0.25ppm

Nitrate level was 20ppm, but now it's 0.

Ph Level is/was 7.2

Ph Level out of the Tap ?

Tank size is 5 gallon. It's been running for two weeks.

What kind of Filtration? -- ViaAqua VA302PF

How often do you change the water and how much? --After getting the nitrite level off the chart, I've been changing the water everyday 50%, but yesterday 100% ... but keeps rising overnight!

What kind of Water additives or conditioners? AquaSafe and StressCoat, sult

Any Medications add to the tank? Melafix

How many fish in the tank and there size? -- one adult Oranda goldfish

Add any new fish to the tank? -- no

What do you feed your fish? Flakes and sometimes frozen redworm

Any unusual findings on the fish? -- Veins on the tail are visible, but no sign of bronken fins. Four days ago, I saw some red dots under the chin, but they're all gone now after adding Melafix and sult. (I stopped Melafix four days ago after two days of treatment, but today I added again.)

Any unusual behavior?

Floating quietly right below the surface without much attention to what's going on outside.

clamped fins

shaking bodies

constant scratching against objects in the tank

hiding in the corners

gasping at the surface

swimming abnormally

Hi there kK and :welcome

Just on the simple stuff :D The only way to keep nitrites under control is to continue to do small but regular waterchange although I notice you've added salt - how much? This will help protect against a rise in nitrites.

Has your ph been stable at 7.2?

Your tank is cycling so water quality will be an issue for the next couple of weeks but as you're showing nitrites - you're half way there. So again, continue with the waterchanges and if you can, try and keep ammonia/nitrites at 0 and ph very stable... the reason?

It sounds as though they have parasites - possibly brought home courtesy of your fish outlet - did you get the fish 2 weeks ago also?

I notice you mention red spots - have they cleared totally?

Does your fish spit out its food? ie. chew then spit?

Every indication is flukes - are you able to get your hands on some prazi? It's a gentle destructor of flukes - both gill and skin and should really be administered to new fish showing symptoms. This is why it's important that your water quality is excellent - as they'll need a strong immunity (which excellent water quality will help promote) for the meds to work.

Please post back soon - it sounds as though it's advancing :blink:

Guest KK123

Hi JenW,

Thank you for your quick reply. This morning, the fish is at the bottom of the tank sitting quietly in the dark...which is abnormal. When I make some noise, it shakes body as though it's caughing(?).

Yes, ph level has been fine at 7.2. The fish came home 2 weeks ago, when I bought the tank.

I put 1 tsp of salt into the 5 gallon tank. The red spots are totally gone. The fish has been eating, but it spits once in a while before it bites the next flake.

Do you think the flukes came with frozen redworm? Should I keep feeding or stop?

I'll see if I can find Prazi and keep changing the water, and wait for your reply. If I can't find Prazi at mmm, is there another similar product? (PimaFix)?

--KK123

No - Pimafix is meant to be an antibiotic of some sort... Hopefully they'll have prazi as other medications are quite harsh. I'd try and get there soon though before they do more damage.

If you can't find prazi - see if they've got anything that kills flukes otherwise, i know you can order it online. May take 2 days to get there though.

No I honestly don't think they were introduced by your food - more likely they've had them since you purchased them. They're usually prevalent in overstocked quarters - and are usually put in with other fish from differing locations when they get to the petstore - making them very suseptible.

In the meantime, more waterchanges and add 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon ... but I think prazi is going to be your biggest help for now.

See how you go and please post back with any questions :)

Guest KK123

Thanks again, JenW.

I didn't have any luck finding prazi today, but I'll keep looking for it. If I can't find it by tomorrow, I'll order it (or something similar) online. It seems other medicines are too harsh, as you said, so I'm hoping to find prazi.

In the mean time, I did some waterchanges, added salt, and put Bio-Spirato help the cycle and controle the nitrite level a bit, so that the water quality would change overnight with live bacteria and won't be too toxic. Hopefully bio-spira works right away, as it says it would.

The fish's eyes are moving, but he is still floating at the bottom of the tank. I remember that a few days before I bought that fish, there were some sick fish with red gills in the same tank at the store. You might be right that the fish already had flukes or something.

I'll keep you posted. Thank you!

Guest KK123

I found an article online that Hydrogen peroxide might kill the flukes and it suggested dipping the fish in the water with Hydrogen peroxide (9 parts water and 1 part Hydrogen peroxide ) for 10 seconds. Have you heard of it? Do you think it'll be safe to do so theoretically, until I get the prazi?

Yes - you can try this but the only problem with this method is you'll need to move him to a new environment until you can get a treatment for your tank. So if you can set up a tub for him, you'll need to make sure you do waterchanges each day and then once you've medicated the tank to remove any remaining on plants/within gravel etc... then you could put him back.

Just be careful with him as he seems a little weak but I agree, you need to do something quickly so worth a shot i'm thinking.

See how you go and my fingers are crossed.

Guest bpatin1976

Hi I had an oranda for about 5 months. I did a water change and he died. I went and got a new fish the next day. (Fish 2) I got one for me and a smaller one for my grandmother. when I got home I put both fish in the tank (new water). the next day I brought my grandmother her fish. My fish lasted for about 5 days and my grandmothers lasted for 9 or 10 days She told me that her fish had spots on him and it looked like his fins were disappering. After my fish died I returned to the same pet store and got a smaller fish (fish 3). I also changed the water. All the fish in the tank that I got the other fish from looked pretty bad. The smaller fish looked ok but there were one or two that were dead. The guy told me that I should not have changed the water. He told me to add the water from the bag that the fish was in in my tank. That fish lasted one day. So I am now on fish #4. I went and got from a different pet store (where I got the first fish from). It has been 5 or 6 days and he has alot of white spots all over him. Now I am thinking back and the second fish had white spots after a few days. ALL ARE ORANDAS.

I have a 10 gallon tank I also have a small 1-2 gallon tank. He looks ok except for the spots. I took him out and put him in the smaller tank. I did about a 20-25% water change in the 10 gallon. I do not have any testing supplies. I have never had fish before. I only started this for my 2 yr old little girl. I am burnt out and upset that I keep losing my fish. I am going to the pet store today to see what they say to do. But if anyone has any suggestions please reply. I hope he makes it through this ok. Please help.

Hi there bpatin - and welcome. Would you be able to start a new thread? The way to do this is when you're in the main menu - click on New Topic, give it a title and then give as much of the information as requested in the white box above. Then we can jump in and answer...

You need your own topic so you can get the help you need.

Cheers :)

Guest KK123

Hi JenW,

Thank you for all your help... but the fish was gone this morning :cry1 . Since I wasn't sure about the hydrogen peroxide treatment, I didn't have enough courage to do that last night (w/o seeing your response). I did everything I could to take care of him, and with your help I think his life prolonged. For that, thank you very much, and in the future when the similar symptem happens to other fish, I would know right away what to do.

I checked the inside the gill and it was darker red. Is it normal or does it tell you that he did in fact had some problem? The gills look perfect from outside.

I'm so sorry KK :cry1 - it sounds as though his problem was advanced.

The one thing i learned when i first started to keep goldies was to have something on hand for every eventuality. It cost a bomb :blink: but i've built up my store of supplies over time and believe me, the panic is halved when something's not right.

Just on his gills - if they were a dark meaty red, then they were fine. It's time to worry when they appear a paler pink or poo brown in colour...

Hope to see you back here with some good news stories on your other fish soon :) and again, i'm so sorry you lost your little guy :(

Archived