How Extreme Have You Gone For Your Fish?

maniacholic

Apart from the usual 'expense being no object for my fish" :blink: I've stayed up 48hrs trying to save a little moor that had fishlice which I pulled off. His health was deteriorating horrendously so had to keep the water warm, clean and ... well I just wouldn't rest until I saw some improvement.... :D

Extremes? Hm, well, lets see - does tossing out furniture to make room for tanks count? And I am not talking a little desk or a night stand - I mean a 3 seater couch and a 7 foot bedroom dresser.

Guests had to stand in our old place, unless they felt comfortable on floor pillows or the 2 office chairs... :rofl

I don't think I have ever done anything too big for them except for when my bubble eye was dying of dropsy and some type of tumour I stayed with him for a few days basically all the time helping him eat and stuff.

Extremes? Hm, well, lets see - does tossing out furniture to make room for tanks count? And I am not talking a little desk or a night stand - I mean a 3 seater couch and a 7 foot bedroom dresser.

Guests had to stand in our old place, unless they felt comfortable on floor pillows or the 2 office chairs... :rofl

363728[/snapback]

:blink: that's more extreme then me turning a 29 & a 20 gallon tank into a green water tank :blink:

:krazy: when I was younger, I took the styrofoam padding of a TV or soemthing and knocked out a few pieces to make a maze. I filled it up with water and put my fish in it....remarkably, they learn the way through the maze within an hour!

And they say goldies cant remember anything past the last 30 seconds... :rofl

Ranchugirl...... You are so dedicated :heart ! i think the farthest I have been is when my favorite guy, my black moor died of some disease that starts with S. I was by his side the whole time driving back and fourth to mmm to have my water tested. The only real bad part is having your whole family against you about going through all the trouble when i could just flush him down talk about depressing. Thats when I realized how much they really dont care about my fish. They wouldn't even let me get a quaranteen. It was extreme because it was difficult and sad and it opened my eyes.

I have plateaued on my extreme goldfish movement. I decided trying to

catch up to Ranchu was impossible. So I'm concentrating on the kids

that I currently have. :D That and the $$$ that was being spent on them. :o

I think the amount of money I've spent is the most extreme thing I've done for the goldies. I don't even want to think about how much I've spent in the last 6 months....new tank, filter, canopy, food, gravel....and the list goes on!!!! I've sacrificed things like groceries to make sure my goldies had the best home I could give them :heart

Well lets see... I think the most extreme thing I have done for my goldies was when I cancled a trip because one of my goldies got sick, and I couldnt bare leaving him. Everyone thought I was nuts! Even the little things we think are normal, they think are nuts!! LOL

363815[/snapback]

I've done that one :lol1

Guest Esareh

I stayed up untill 2 in the morning (friday night actually) putting together and filling up a 20 gallon tank for 1 fish.

Ha, Ha - I am new to this so the whole thing has been extreme - got rid of furniture, returned wedding gifts, hocked golf clubs, and sold part of my fountain pen collection (for the Eheim,new decorations, and new stand) just to keep one goldfish! I could not part with him! And let's not forget the fighting with loved ones over it... :rolleyes: I take responsibility for my actions and if I bought a goldfish without being informed, it is my fault, why should he suffer? But, I did not want to give him away!

I totally understand the "why don't you just flush him" arguement. It does really hurt when people just do not understand that this lovely creature is a living thing - it is not to be killed becasue it is "inconvenient"! :angry: It is not disposable becasue it is small! :cry1

Comapssion, in which all ethics must take root, can only attain its full breadth and depth if it embraces all living creatures and does not limit itself to mankind.

Albert Schweitzer

Good topic, very fun to read.

I guess the only thing that I can remember was moving out my TV and stand, hauling another giant TV stand up my stairs with my mom, and putting my new 20 gal on it. Next, I will move the computer, if need be, and then I will move my bed... I can't belive how much money I have spent on fish these past few months... but all worth it. Not very extreme to the things as anyone else has done, though.

okies....

We chucked out an armchair to make room for my tropical tank, i have stayed up to like 2am doing water chnages in times of 'could be' illnesses, made my dad leave work 2 hours early to run to lfs to get my pond medication, and.... of course the cost side to the tanks, the pond, my cupboard iffull of spare heaters, filters, stones, meds, sponges, airstones, you name it i reckon i got it :)

I think we need to get Tamthe little black moor in here; her story is incredible! You'll cry,, for those of you who haven't heard it! :heart

For me I have yet to do anythin greally extreme! Unless you count spending a combined 4,0000 or more so far on my fish since May! Like Graham said, it shouldn't be their suffering just because I got into this hobby completely un informes! Wow; I was so ignorant of what this whole thing would be like! My how things have changed...I feel like I'm walking Goldie knowledge book! LOL!

Guest Chishower

Refusing to flush them (aunts idea) or give them back to the pet store (rents idea) when we move this week. Buying the bags, bag buddies, coolers to pack them in. Next, sleeping in the car when the hotel doesnt let them in to make sure the temps don't sway too much...and lets not talk about the money. x.x

But it doesn't seem extream to me, it just seems..normal. Its my responsibility to keep them safe.

the most extreme ive done, (before this last 2 weeks) is spend over a thousand dollars on the tanks i have now...and take a 50+ hour work week to keep up with this and my car that i totaled a few months back...

anyways, now...i just got rid of 3 floor to ceiling book cases that my entire collection of model horses resides on...and me and my grand pap are installing shelving going around the top of my walls for hte horses to be kept on....and im getting rid of some extra dresser type things, to make room for my 75 gal, or 125 gal...which ever i decide on.!!!! and while im moving all this around, im repainting my room, and fixing the plaster that hasnt been repaired since the house was built 50 years ago! :yikes

I just snuck behind my husbands back and bought a tank( talk about feeling guilty) to save my fish and then got up early every day to do the first of 2 water changes while the tank was cycling for 2 months. I have spent loads on them because I can't stand the thought of them not thriving. I have endured endless ridicule and blank stares from everyone in my life. Thank goodness I have no tragedies (knock on wood) to add to the list. But they make me sooooooo happy, so they are worth all of it!

Archived