Fishy Plans?

Guest AldenM1

Guest AldenM1

I have a goldfish named App, currently living in a swank 5-gallon Eclipse setup. I've done all the water testing and condition her water with Amquel and all is well on that score. However, for a while App has had a tumor-like growth that seems to come and go in the same spot on her left side. It doesn't seem to bother her and the guy at the pet store said it was probably cancer.

Recently I also lost my older goldie, who lived in a 10-gallon tank. I'd like to set that tank up again, and had planned to use App's filter materials and some gravel from her tank to help the bio cycle get going. But now I have a couple of possibilities:

1) upgrade App to the 10-gallon -- something I'd like to do for her -- and put something else, not a goldie in all likelihood, in the 5-gallon. Possible cons: traumatic to App, and if she's going to die in the short term from an incurable cancer, would I then have to wash/sterilize *both* tanks? Also, if I upgrade App, do I need to wash out her tank before getting, say, a betta, or some smaller guppies? Or can I just throw them into her already-cycling system?

2) leave App alone, but use App's material to jump start a new cycle for a new goldie. Cons: will App's lump be catching and hurt a new fish?

3) leave App alone, and start a new tank from scratch.

Any advice? Thanks a lot.

I'd upgrade App into the 10 gal, but I don't think her tumor, if that's what it is, will be contagious, even if it's cancer. What does it look like? If it comes and goes it could be something else but I'm not sure. And it may be a bengin tumor as well, so she may still live a long life.

I would maybe take the 5 gals out and put it into the new tank, since that will still help with the cycling process, and use the filter too, like you were planing. Then I would simply wash the 5 gal, if your sure she had nothing else, and then add new water.

This is just my advice, and before doing any thing, I would wait to see if anyone else has any suggestions.

In a tank, sure. In the same water as the fish was in, I might just get some new water and start cycling then get another fish. If you mean the same conditions, bettas, I think, like to have a little warmer water, and I have no idea about tropicals. I would ask questions about them in the Betta section and the Tropical section. Good luck with your fish.

I think that you will be okay to move her to the 10 gallon tank (sure she will love you even more for that). as for the smaller tank, you can use that to start growing plants to put into the big tank or save and use as a storing tank when you do major cleaning of the big tank

Archived