Clamped Fins, Sitting At Bottom, Red Veins

mkinga

Hi,

one of my goldfish has started sitting in the corner, with clamped fins, and red veins have been showing up on his back tail. I just gave him a quick salt dip to see if that would help.

A few weeks ago I had a serious fungal outbreak (Dad bought sick goldfish and plopped them into the tank, infecting everyone). But everyone seemed okay now. The goldfish in question got some fin rot, but seemed okay once I added in maracyn and gave them medi-gold for 2 weeks.

Any clue what this could be? He eats normally, and doesn't seem to behave much differently (no scratching), just sits a lot in the corner.

I have 5 large goldfish in a 72 gallon tank. Ammonia and nitrites have been 0 for ages, and nitrates rarely go above 10. PH is pretty stable at 7.0. no plants just gravel in the tank. I feed the fish pro-gold, have an emperor 400 and a filstar canister filter in there. I do minimum weekly 25% water changes, no new fish lately.

The symtoms you describe can be those of an internal infection that may be related to the illness the new goldfish introduced.

It would ideal if you could isolate this fish and feed him medigold for 30 days. I wouldn't like to feed the uneffected fish medigold for that period of time, it could build up immune resistance to the drugs.

This is weird. The first thing I was thinking was bad water quality but if your params are as good as you say they are then that can't be it. Hmmm.... I would check them again because I really do not know what else it could be.

The red areas actually look like red veins and not blotches right? Are there any meds in the tank right now? I would do a water change af about 30% right away. It is the only thing I can think of right now.

I am sorry I am of no help right now except telling you to do a water change!

EDIT: In reading fishmerised above post, that is excellent advice. I concur! :lol:

Yup, I check the params every week (and just now!) I'm paranoid about water quality. Definitely red veins.

During the fungal outbreak where he got fin rot, he was fed medigold for 2 weeks, this was just about 2-3 weeks ago. Do you think its a good idea to isolate him and feed it to him again for a month? Should I dose him with anything? Could it be an parasitic infection (parasite clear?) ? 2-3 weeks ago he had a good dose of maracyn (both 1 and 2).

:unsure: Just out of curiosity,what test kit are you using,and have you checked the expiration on it lately? Sounds weird,but they do expire. The signs he's showing, usually are signs of Poor water quality,normally,whether it be high Ammonia/Nitrites,etc.Redness in fins could also be a sign of Parasites,or systemic bacterial.Healthy unstressed fish are normally resistant,unless new fish are introduced-which your father did a few weeks back.sounds like the maracyn Treatment may not have gotten rid of the probs completely.Even though your levels seem to be reading okay,I'd do another thirty% water change,and continue as mentioned to feed the Medi-Gold,and look out for any signs that might lead you to believe that it's due to a Parasite infection. Good luck!

I have two test kits, aquarium pharm and hagen test kits. I'm not sure myself, but I've read on koi vet that clamped fins means parasites. I know that parasite clear is a pretty non-harsh treatment, so I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's help!

Quick update for the worse. The other goldfish are developing symptoms as well, so they are all in the hospital tank. They have red sores growing in the side of them as well. I gave them a quick salt dip, dosed with parasite clear, and started them on medi-gold. Some fungus has developed as well. Ack, all from those sick fish my dad put in :(

Archived