Gravel Vacuum

chico

Alright - call me a newbie...b/c I am. BUT, this gravel vacuum thing did absolutely nothing for me. Probably b/c I cannot figure out how to use it! :crp

I have a 10 gallon tank. I have the Top Fin $2.50 gravel vacuum from vvvv. I must be using it wrong b/c it was not sucking up anything for me. I found that after pumping it up and dow for a while it was doing nothing but disturbing all the gunk under the rocks - not sucking up anything. Once in a while I would get some drainage...but nothing to clap my hands about.

I had the drainage bucket below the tank; I had the entire syphon submerged in the tank. Maybe I didn't pump it enough? I don't know....I didn't see anything happening. So in the end I just used the syphon like a cup...stuck it in the water, lifted it up and drained the water into the bucket.

Please, help me with this one!!

Guest Abrienna

Did you make sure to get all of the air out of the syphon? Try placing it in the tank and then tilting the open end up to make sure that ALL of the air is out. That being said they are still rather tricky to get started. I usually keep the whole thing submerged and horizontal to the bottom of the tank. Because the 10 gallon doesn't give you much room to manuver you'll have to do quick short movements. Think of trying to push the water through the tube. Once you get it started it does rather well. You could always try a battery powered pump. Penn-Plax makes one that's gotten good reviews.

Abrienna

Hi - i had your same problem! Put the siphon in the water, make sure the tube is going upwards and then down into the bucket on the floor (If your tank is on the floor, this may be why he siphon is not working too well) - holding the end of the tube in the bucket, put your mouth around it and suck until you see water coming down through the curve in the tube - QUICKLY put the end of the tube, holding it, into the bottom of the bucket. Then, it should work for you! I felt so stupid becasue I couldn't make it work - all someone had to do was tell me to suck on the tube! (ANd no one ever did - I watched the guy cleaning the tanks do it)! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

i hate sucking...especially when i get tank water in my mouth. yuck! have you considered buying a python no spill? i know alot of people swear by it. its a bit expensive, but its an investment.

EEoooouuu No suckin' fish water!!! You submerge the big end of the syphon hose under the water then pull it up out of the water & hold it upwards allowing water to flow thru to the bucket, then plug the small end with your finger stopping the flow. Dunk the other big end back into the water, unplug the other end . The water should flow. (When finished just pull the hose out of the water.)

Be sure when syphoning to push the barrel end all through the gravel to get out all the ecky stuff!!

When you can save up for a Python get one....they are great!!

Guest JustJayde

I never EVER suck the tube.........

I bought a turkey baster with an opening wide enough to fit the tube in, then close off the extra opening with my finger and suck with that.

no guck in the mouth.

;)

I guess I should add that I do clean the end of the tube first with peroxide!

But, I like your turkey baster method! That's handy - how about putting as a tip of the month! ;)

I don't really come in contact with any water so it is not a problem for me.

Well, I've got it all figured out, finally. I've got some little hand-held pump that I just attach to the end of the hose...works wonderfully. Thanks for all your help! It really wasn't all that difficult!

Guest JustJayde

dunno where to put the tip of the month otherwise I would :)

it's handy for all kinds of things! starting suction, cleaning up poop, feeding underwater if fishie is afraid of your hand..... I love my baster ;)

Archived