Ahhhhhhhh, What Is It?

Guest Inasoso

Guest Inasoso

My problem: My goldie (pebbles) is in a shocking mood. Swims upsidedown, looks larger 'fatter' than usual, and her eyes bulge. This is not the case all the time. Mostly she swims right and has these symtoms.

i will check the levels tomarrow, but last time I checked, (1 week ago) everything waz perfect!

Ammonia= 0

Nitrates= 0

Nitrites=0

pH= the same, I'll use a 0 to make my point, okay?

penguin filter

Aqua Safe tapwater conditioner

I feed my fish the following:TetraColor Tropical flakes(for my community tank which she is in), Nutrafin Max Goldfish Flake food, Top fin Floating pelles, Tetra Baby Shrimp, Boodworms, andPlankton, And Wardley tubifex worms. Also fresh (frozen) peas.

I clean my 29 gallon every week, taking out 1/3 of the water

3 goldies in my tank, 4 danios and 2 tetras. A little over stocked, but they love each other! :)

I have also treated the tank in the last two months with Rid Ich and Moth Fungus Cure. My pleco just died, some snails have died too.

Please help!

How long has the tank been set up for? Your readings should not all be 0 either... Also, when you say the fish looks fatter, is it's scales sticking out? You say it's eyes are bulging too - this makes me think of dropy. Is it possible to post a pic of the fish? I am not sure if you have the ability to post yet, if not you can send the pic to me at wyldechild_16@hotmail.com and I would gladly post it for you.

Unless your tank is brand new it should be showing a nitrAte reading, so something is wrong there. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by zero for pH. A neutral pH reading is 7.

I don't think overstocking is your problem, daninos and tetras only have a small effect on the bioload. Perhaps your tank is going through a mini-cycle on account of the medications? How long has your tank been established? Do you have your own test kits?

Bulging eyes can be the start of chronic dropsy and if your fish is now becoming bloated it fits the symptoms.

On the other hand your fish may be constipated or have indigestion, I would suggest fasting for 2 days then feeding peas for 3 days in a row and see if there is any improvement.

edit: simultaneous posting with Florissa. ;)

Guest Inasoso

Thank you for your responses. I took a picture and will send it as soon as I can. I tested the levels again, so here are the more precise numbers:

pH 8.2 (which is fairly normal since the inceptionof this tank about 3 months ago)

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 80ppm

So the nitrate is up there. I am going to do a 1/3 water change now to start helping that problem.

And I fed the fishies light tonight, as I didn't have the heart to make them all fast. Pebbles stayed in mid-tank and grabbed at falling food, but did not venture toward the top. She mostly stays in this one spot now that she's bloated. Anyway, I'll go light on food, and use some peas in a day or two.

Any other suggestions for the nitrate level? Orwhat to do if Pebbles does have dropsy? With two medications added to my tank within the last two months I am weary of adding ANOTHER medication.

I wish my fish didn't get sick so much!! I thik it is due to the warm temperature of the tank. I don't heat it, but it stays 76-78 degrees on its own.

Thanks again for all the help. It will break my heart if this fish doesn't pull through!

:( Sorry,but the warm temps of the tank have nothing really to do with your fish getting sick all the time.It's all about Poor Water Quality,dosing with wrong medications,overstocking/not quarrantining new fish,etc. Nitrates are kind of high.You may have to do a few water changes to get them reading under 20.Nitrates in that range can affect stressed or weak fish ,and can cause havoc on their health. From what you're saying,I don't think it sounds like constipation.The bulging eyes,do they look like they have donut rings around them? If your fish is showing symptoms,such as Dropsy/Popeye,you will have to take immediate action on treating the fish. Do you have a hospital/quarrantine tank to treat the fish in?

Guest Inasoso

No Hospital tank, and No Money for one!Yes, Doughnuts around her eyes! NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay, all before, that waz my mum talking. She has different language! Can u tell? Anywhoo, I will fast the fish(es?) for a couple days and add peas. Okay, Do you boil or microwave the peas? How long? I'm the feeder, so dont worry about my mom feeding my fish. U guys rock!

Guest Inasoso

Oh, and this is the first known sickness this fish has had! Fishes, I have had 2 tetras, 1 goldie, and 1 pleco, and 5-7 snails die! Please, help me not add on to the tally!

:( Is it possible to buy a Rubbermaid Container or something so that you can quarrantine this fish to treat with Meds? There are a few good Pinned posts on treating this.I advise you to look them over. I really would not worry about the peas right now.It's more important to try and save your fish from dropsy.First off,I would start off by water changing-maybe about 30%. You'll need to keep the tank water very warm to help treat this.Do you have a heater? Epsom Salt is also a help when it comes to swollen fish.1/8 tsp. per 5 gals. is all that is needed.That needs to be dissolved in Tank water before being added to your tank. A good Med that's been found to work quite well for Dropsy/Popeye,etc.,is Maracyn and Maracyn II.I would go and purchase that first thing in the morning if possible.Dropsy is a very deadly symptom that needs to be treated as soon as possible.The faster you treat it,the better survival rate you have on saving the fish.

Guest Inasoso

We have any old 1.77 gal tank we could use, I guess. We will get the meds tomorrow night. That's the earliest we can! But we changed the water earlier tonight.

Thanks Devs!

btw...we'll be in your neighborhood this August for our family reunion... I saw you are from Pittsburgh. Fancy that! We have loads of relatives there!

:unsure: I don't think that that size will work to well Hun.I mean ,we could break the meds down to figure out for for that size tank,but it's barely big enough for a Betta. I guess if there's no way to get a Rubbermaid tub or something,you may just have to treat in your main tank for the stability that it has. By the way,where do you live now? There are a few of us from Pittsburgh on here.Myself,eatherhey,Smack,Jed Hester,etc...A family reunion sounds like alot of fun! :lol: What part of Pittsburgh do they live in?

Guest Inasoso

We are from colorado.Our other family is in Pittsburg. Recently I have 77 dollars, Should I buy a 10 gallon? Would that support her? It wood be cool, so I can have more fishies! I'll have to ask my mom. How big of a rubbermaid and where would I get it?

Guest Inasoso

I know what you mean about the betta sized tank. Petmart really does not advertise well! It was a Goldfish starter tank, and the people there told me I could keep 2 goldies in it! One died, but we got a 29 gallon just in time for our other one to survive. She's still alive!

Guest Inasoso

eyes are not bulging anymore, did not do a thing! She has always swam allittle funny, but could she be possibly constipated or eggbound?

I don't think constipation would cause bulging eyes (unless they were severely severly constipated). But it certainly will not hurt anything to feed peas and then fast for 3 days. You can use frozen peas, pop them into some tank water in a cup and put the cup in the microwave for 20 seconds or so to defrost. Let them cool for a little bit. Then pop the inside out of the shell...the fish will not eat the shell. I break up those little pieces and the fish love them (at least my goldies do!)

Guest Inasoso

Im thinking she has Swim Bladder. She lookes Bloated and "floats" around. I will still get the med earlier advised, just in case, but what will treat Swim Bladder?

Archived