Lighting And Water Temperature...

Guest danxxx

Guest danxxx

Hiya, I need more advice... I really don't like flourescent light. It actually gives me a headache. So I've just got a desk lamp with a 40 watt bulb above the aquarium. It lights the tank well, but of course it also warms the water up a little. Not super-warm or anything (don't have a thermometer, but a bit higher than room temperature). The fish seems OK with it, though she is passing absorbed eggs right now. What kind of temperature range do goldfish like? And if they need it cold, does anyone have any suggestions about alternatives to flourescent lights? Thank You!

I think goldfish can live below 60 F and a little above 80 F, and in my experiance low, incandesent wattage only raises the tank's temp up a few degrees. But you should get a thermometer, at the vvvv I have they're like three dollars, and they are really useful. Just remember warm water carries alot less oxygen, so make sure you have plenty aeration if the water gets warmer. If you think the tanks too warm you could dechlorinate water, then freeze it into ice cubes you could put in the tank, or put ice or cold water inside a water bottle and just float it in the tank.

For differnt lighting setups, you could go to Tank Equipment and see if anyone can suggest anything.

Archived