Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bigphil

Size Of Tank

Guest Bigphil

I have been offered an unusual shaped tank for free!

It is very tall: L 15" x W 15" x H 60".

This equates to about 50Gals so enough water for 4-5 Medium size fish.

However I am concerned about the relitively small surface area of the water.

Does this make a difference?

that sounds like a 5 ft upside down, for goldfish i dont think this would be a very happy home for them, as they prefer shallower water but length and width for swimming, as swimming up and down can be hard work.

same as for birds people alot of the time have them in silly high cages when they require widness for flight as birds dont fly up they fly across, same as fish they swim across not deep down or high up, if you know what i mean by this.

I always thought you wanted the most surface area your could get. And I agree I can't imagine the fish being very happy swimming up & down.

But surely if you pumped a bunch of air bubbles into it a couple of fishes could be happy enough in one. Maybe someone else has one & can share their experience with you.

Good Luck! :)

You want the most surface area you can get, the smaller the surface area the smaller number of fish you can get.

Someone posted an awesome thread regarding surface area in tanks, but I can't find it... :huh:

basically, more surface area is more important than the total no. of gallons.

I think you should maybe take the tank, but just not for goldies.

The best kind of tank you can get for them are the rectangle ones.

More surface area is better for these guys. Good luck,

Alex

I agree that would be a good tank (esp. being free and all! :D ) but from my own experience, I would keep the goldies in a rectangular tank. I started out with a tall hexagon tank with 2 orandas and after some time they spent their lives in an upright position sucking at the surface ALL the time (even though I had multiple air stones going). They had more and more trouble getting to the bottom after a while. It took a while for me to figure out it was the tank shape, that's when I upgraded and got a bigger and rectangle tank. :)

Guest jimmy_396_jimmy

hmm...when the fish go down won't that create more pressure on the swim bladder and stuff?