Fry And Ph

Tazz Knight

I'm just curious if anyone have any suggestion as to what the ideal pH of the tank should be for goldfish fry. Also, if the pH is getting too acidic, any safe way to raise it slowly as to not harm the fry via stress due to the change? :krazy:

Hi Tazz,

I wouldn't muck about with ph, just keep it the same as the parents are in. Mucking with the water is stressful and fry can be fairly fragile. If the ph goes down, then baking soda is warented. Only use enough to keep it stable at its normal ph/kh range. Thats done slowly regardless. Mix it with a bit of tank water and then slowly add it in in the water outflow so it distributes evenly and not in the filter itself. 1/4 tsp per 10 gl's should raise it 1 dh. Only if you need to though. :D With weekly water changes you shouldn't have to muck with it short of dechlor/ammonia binder unless the ph is low to begin with.

Make sure its baking soda and not baking powder, there's a difference!

Thanx Tamianth for your useful advise. My parent tank pH stays at 7.2, but the tank that the ry in has gotten to 6.8. I guess I will leave it at that unless it drops lower than say 6.5. The baby fry seem to be doing good...have only lost 20 so far and it's been 3 weeks. ;) They are growing fast and starting to look like goldfish. Enve have quite a few with fantails(so excited, hoping htey are orandas and not just fantails), but being mutts, you never know. :crp

Don't let it drop ay further then it is now. Besides what the goldies absorb, the filters also use the kh to some extent also. You don't want it dropping anymore. Do you have a gh & kh test kit? With a 7.2 ph I'd like to see what the gh & kh are running also. How bigs the tank?

I have been successful in not letting it drop any lower...in fact it has rose about .2 pH. As for the gh & kh test kit, I'm going to the pet store later and see what I can do about getting one. All I had was the pH test. the tank that I have the fry in is 10 gallons, and they are getting big. The ones that are still small are in a 2.5 gallon right beside the 10 gallon. It seem like my fish are ready to mate again :D and :(

Archived