Mary's Still Passing Reabsorbed Eggs Stuff

Guest danxxx

Guest danxxx

Hello, Mary's been passing reabsorbed eggs for nearly 2 weeks now. Does anyone know if this is normal or not? What kind of things contribute to this? The water is rather warm cause the light I'm using right now isn't flourescent. Might this have anything to do with it? How long does it usually take for a fish to go thru this process? Thanks as always!

So, Mary is still not doing better, hm? Is she still on the bottom, or hanging on top, close to the water surface?

You did try the 3-day-fasting/follow-by-pea procedure, if I remember right?

2 weeks isn't really an abnormal time for a fish with egg problems, especially if the fish is bigger and her belly is really full with eggs, and no male to induce spawning. Since you don't have her that long yet, you can't tell if her roundness is her natural boady shape or not. And no, you don't have to worry that this goes on every month, otherwise those poor female fish wouldn't do anything else all year long! :lol: Its more prominent in the breeding season, when the weathr starts warming up - basically spring is in the air. There is another time period of breeding activity in fall, but most natural breeding occurs in the spring time.

I read in your other post that you have salted the tank - do you use aquarium salt or epsom salt? If its aquarium salt, you might wonna switch to epsom salt, if that is available in the UK. :unsure: Epsom salt acts somewhat like a laxative, and aids the fish in the absorbtion process. If you find epsom salt, do a few water changes first to get rid of the aquarium salt, and then add 1/8 teaspoon of epsom salt per 1 gl of tank water.

Unfortunately, absorbing eggs can take quite its time, and patience gets tested if one wants to see improvement right away... :)

Guest danxxx

Hi-Thanks, she does seem to be alright aside from still passing the crinkly, clear eggs stuff. I mean, I'm not worried about her health. When she's not hanging near the top, she swims around quite exuberantly, she eats well, and she's pooing ok. I was just wondering about how long it takes. I'll try the epsom salt over the next couple weeks (you can get it here, in fact I believe it's named after the town of Epsom, just a few miles north of me)! Do you need to get completely rid of the regular salt? How would you do that without changing pretty much all the water?

Also, does the water temperature affect this at all? I'm just about to post a new question about water temperature and lighting, which you might also have some advice on? Thanks again (and again)!

You can get Epsom salt in any drug store or nnnnnn in the medicine section. (Usually people use it to like soak sore feet or something!) :huh:

Yes, you have to get rid of the aquarium salt first, and you don't have to do it in one big water change either. Do 4 25% water changes over a few days, and the salt should be all out. And remember, only 1/8 of a teaspoon per gallon of water, that is all you need. Not a tea spoon like the aquarium salt.

And heat can speed up the process yes, as long as its a constant temperature, and not going much up and down. Especially going up can bring troubles in the form of the fish thinking its breeding time again, and thats the last thing Mary needs right now - more eggs developing! :thud

Archived