Is It Really Worth It?

Kissy

Is keeping goldfish really worth the trouble? I'm asking because I really don't know..I've never experienced a long enough period of time where my fish wasn't dieing. I've had five goldfish: 2 rescues who were originally from a petstore, and three that were directly from the petstore. My first rescue lasted the longest, maybe a couple months...the rest didn't last 2 weeks. The fifth that I have right now is on his way out and suffering pretty badly. All come with diseases. I have spent over 200 dollars on them, and a pretty good fraction of that would be meds. Thank you all for sending me free meds by the way, because now I am completely broke. 0 dollars. I have a fair amount of change but what does that get you? Trying to keep your goldfish alive is really expensive when you don't have a job. They all come home with diseases and parasites, and there really isn't anywhere else I can get them. There is one store I haven't tried, but it is 45 minutes away and I don't have a car. Is it really worth all the pain? 5 goldfish in a row is really going to hurt.

I understand how you feel. When nothing is going right and everyone is sick. Just keep your chin up and hopefully things will improve for you. Good luck. :)

Wow kissy, sorry to hear that you are having such a run of bad luck with your goldfish. I have been pretty lucky myself with walter and Farely and now Zane and a new lionhead, all have been healthy and olnly had minor problems. I think your problem is you are so kind hearted you can't help but bring home the goldies with diseases that no one else would bother getting. This is a good thing, but kinda hard when they die after you have tried so hard to get them better:( Think of it this way, even though they may die at least you have given them a little taste of a loving home is like. I agree keeping goldies isn't cheap even when they are all healthy, almost as expensive as keeping a horse, lol. If you are really loosing your desire to keep goldies, take a break for a while, keep what you have and care for them as best you can and maybe wait until you can get a job or more money to try again. Right now you are having a really hard time that would make anyone think twice about keeping fish.

Guest Esareh

Look at my signature. I know how you feel. Those are only the ones i've lost since I joined. there's at least 6 more. I know it seems hard but in the long run, its worth it. thier so wonderfull to have. but I think you know that allready. ;)

I can't imagine them being fun right now...everytime I think of having a fish in a tank at my own house I stress out X_X Promise their worth it? I'm going to take at least a month off. I'm going to work on getting a job, buy a new filter to set up a quarentine tank on my rubbermaid (didnt need one for goldies because I always had an empty ten gall free. An empty 29 gal is a complete pain to nuke.) and I'm just going to get some friends for my black neons if I can find a good petstore. Hopefully this far away place is good...they're supposed to have really cheap trops by the thousands, but I think their gf supply is limited to springitme. After everyone is settled in tropical tank I'll see where I am with money. If I've got a good amount and I can find a good store in AZ (yah...that might not happen) then I might try again with goldfish. I'm throwing the plant idea out the window...it just means more money, more things dieing and problems if I need to medicate. I think I may take a break from this site as well, as soon as my Oliver passes. :(

I am so sorry about all of your fish.. I don't blame you, if ad to go through all you went to, I would need a break. I can only imagine how heartbroken you ae :( . I really hope things work out for the best. Good luck on the job huntiing, too. I just hope you will come back as son as possible. Hopefully when you start up again everything will be different. Wheever if/when you would want to start again, just remember all of us here are here to support you no matter what you decide. This is just another stage in life and you WILL get over it, you have the kindet heart, I hope youwill start back up soon.

Goog Luck

Chris

:hug

Aw, I'm sorry Kissy. Maybe it is best to take a break for a while untill you get back on your feet with fish. I'll bring you over a bunch of happy healthy goldies when we go. We'll miss you though... :(

:( Sorry to hear of all your woes Kissy. I don't know all your circumstances from the beginning,but I am sorry that you're going through it all. :hug I think that the biggest problem with owning Goldfish is that most people tend to buy them"Spur of the Moment",without doing research on them first.When you start out and you have the wrong filter's the wrong tank size,etc..you're kind of asking for trouble right from the beginning. Goldfish are alot of work,they require certain needs.You can't set up a ten gal. uncycled tank,throw five fish in there,and think that everything's going to be okay.The very most important thing that people don't do,is Quarrentine their fish.Once they throw them all in the tank together-anyone that's sick has a chance to spread that problem to other fish,and that's when the fun is truly over. :( I am not saying that you did any of these things,because I don't know--I'm just saying that if people start out on the wrong foot,have alot of problems,alot of deaths,etc....That it is hard to appreciate the satisfaction that one can get from owning Goldfish. Taking a break may be a good thing for you right now.It will give you time to look for that job you want,and maybe do some planning/Research on any fish you may want to keep in a later time. I am sorry that it's been so very hard for you.

:( Sorry to hear of all your woes Kissy. I don't know all your circumstances from the beginning,but I am sorry that you're going through it all. :hug ?  I think that the biggest problem with owning Goldfish is that most people tend to buy them"Spur of the Moment",without doing research on them first.When you start out and you have the wrong filter's the wrong tank size,etc..you're kind of asking for trouble right from the beginning. Goldfish are alot of work,they require certain needs.You can't set up a? ten gal. uncycled tank,throw five fish in there,and think that everything's going to be okay.The very most important thing that people don't do,is Quarrentine their fish.Once they throw them all in the tank together-anyone that's sick has a chance to spread that problem to other fish,and that's when the fun is truly over. :( ? ? I am not saying that you did any of these things,because I don't know--I'm just saying that if people start out on the wrong foot,have alot of problems,alot of deaths,etc....That it is hard to appreciate the satisfaction that one can get from owning Goldfish. Taking a break may be a good thing for you right now.It will give you time to look for that job you want,and maybe do some planning/Research on any fish you may want to keep in a later time. I am sorry that it's been so very hard for you.

363303[/snapback]

I didn't. I started out with a one inch moor and couple tetras that were rescues in a ten gallon. As soon as I brought them home, I learned all about goldfish and the tetras and did the best I could. I did so much researching that I think I was caught up on the basics in only a few days. I bought a good filter, water conditioner, etc and did weekly waterchanges. All the fish in petstores down here are just crawling with disease, at least the ones I pick out. I even try to pick out the healthiest, most alert and active fish; they look in the best health. My first and last fish were the only ones that didn't cycle. I think I got off on a rather good foot, especially considering many others that come to this board for help.

I decided I can't really leave this site..I don't really belong anywhere else. I'm going to try and stay off the goldfish forums tho...

Kissy, please dont give up hun....goldfish really are worth it :) i had a thing a month or so ago wher i wanted to give up cuz everything was going wrong, but its so not worth giving up. everyone has a rough time every now and agian, we love you here! maybe just take abbreak, simplify, less tanks, cycle one completely....and restrain yourself...you cant rescue every fish in teh sea! thats what the rest of us are here for! well catch the ones you dont! if you need filters and other stuff, im upgrading to a 125 gal within the month, and i will be selling off all of my 'stuff' from my other tanks, you could clean up there, i think it will all be cheap. and its all new stuff too!

please dont give up! feel free to PM me if you want to talk :)

-christi

I'm sorry for your troubles Kissy, I really feel for you. :( To answer your question, yes they are worth it to me.....but that is really up to you to answer for yourself. I wish you the best and I hope things look up for you real soon! :hug

Kissy, if you feel that goldfish aren't working out for you right now I don't blame you. It's an awful feeling to do the best you can and still have them get sick and die. It's stressful to live under that cloud of worry all the time.

Go with tropicals if want, there is nothing wrong with tropicals, I have never kept a tropical tank so I can't offer any advice but best of luck. :goodluck:bighug

I'll probably work on my tropical tank :) I've got a ten gallon with two lonely tetras. I think a school of 6 black neons is all I can fit in there tho..I wish I could fit some cories or something nice in there too but I don't think I can.

My dad feels bad for me and my luck with the goldfish and says that he will take me to the far away place to see what they have :D This trip is still very postponed tho...at least a month or two because I want to get a filter and cycle a rubbermaid for a quarentine tank...the place is supposed to have SOOOOO many tropicals, so we'll see.

I hope you decide not to leave or give up, because goldfish really are great and alot of fun. I guess I'd try taking some time off if Oliver doesn't make it, and getting everything cycled, and maybe starting over again and getting a fish from the other store. I'm sorry you've had such a hard time trying to save goldfish, and I really hope you won't give up, but you saved Orchard, and even though he's not a goldfish, I hope that give you some hope that you'll be able to overcome the troubles you have been having in trying to keep goldfish. If you ever want to talk or something, you can PM me too. I hope you feel better soon.

Hang in there Kissy it sounds like you've just hit a rough patch in the goldfish world. But I understand what you're saying about the cost but I think the reward of goldfish love is worth it! Just hang in there things are bound to look up! None of us want you to go anywhere Kissy! Just give it some time! :heart:goldfish:

Guest yabbie

I'm angry at your petshops and I think the next fish you buy from them should come with a one month replacement guarantee.

Hey Kissy~

I'm so sorry to hear all that you've been through...I have lost a fair amount of fish myself...the one on my siggy are only the ones that I had grown really attached to...the other 5 (YES 5), didn't last more than 24 to 72 hours...It's an awful feeling I know. But maybe Fishmerised has a good point! Tropicals can be a lot easier to manage from what I've heard, and I have even been considering trying it out...

But on the brightside...atleast you're Dad seems to be really supportive about it! My family thinks goldfish are stupid and they are not comforting at all when I'm devastated over the loos of one of them. I send you a big hug for to cheer up! And one to your dad for being supportive and loving during this hard time for you! :bighug:heart

Kissy.....I hope everything gets better for you real soon! I know how it feels to lose fish. I went thru a period awhile back that I hated to get a goldfish because I didn't want to put my curse on it.

I think you'll like tropicals (I really like Tiger Barbs...talk about a fish with attitude) But I have never seen a tropical that seems to "love you back" like goldies do!

Keep us posted & know that we are all here for you and hoping for the very best!

Hey guys, I'm in a hotel right now so I kinda have to type fast. I'm feeling a little less stressed lately, and my Oliver is still hanging in there, but just barely. I think my dad secretly likes fishies..at least more than the rest of my family. My sister was freaking out because I was taking all the ice from the freezer to cool down tap water for quicker waterchanges (she chews it 24/7 and I swear she'll need dentures by the time she is 30) and my dad told her to chill out and shut up ^_^ I hate all the petstores near me..and hopefully this one store is good. I found it on a list on this site, so I hope it still is keeping that reputation! I don't think I'll give up of goldfish, seeing all your guy's pictures and stories won't let me let go. Thanks for your support everyone :)

"I don't think I'll give up of goldfish, seeing all your guy's pictures and stories won't let me let go."

Haha; your stuck with goldfish for a long time then, I guess. Glad to hear your still going to keep trying with them.

Im so sorry for your troubles... :( I say, just pick one, healthy fish, and try to work on that for a while. In my experiance, if you can get a common right on shipment day, they are pretty healthy and just about nothing kills them! (if they START healthy :) )

Dont loose hope, we're here to help.

BTW, how big is your tank?

Oliver died today, and it was pretty sad coming home to a floating fishy :(

My tank is 29 gallons and very empty. I eventually want to get a common or comet for a rubbermaid, but if I get one it would be easiest for it to be the last one brought home. Is it really important to keep a hospital tank? I thought if a fish gets sick you should treat the entire tank? If its better to treat the entire tank I might turn the quarentine rubbermaid into a single tailed goldie home, but it really depends. It will be a year at the earliest. I'm not sure if the pet stores near me have schedualed shipping days because i always see the same goldfish there for months at a time, but I'm not going to get fish there anymore anyways.

Archived