New Filter

chico

I have a 15 day old 10gallon tank. After discussion here on the board, I have found that my current filter was not sufficient. So, I purchased a new one.

The current filter is a Top Fin 10, 80gph; uses a regular filter cartridge.

New filter is the AquaClear 30; 150gph; uses the sponge, carbon, biomax filter system.

Question is: how can I make this transition smooth? Can I fit the filter from the Top Fin into the AquaClear to transfer the bacteria? I'm not sure how to accomplish this.

Thanks in advance!

Run both of them on the tank at the same time. If the aquaclear is going to

be the permanent filter, I would put that in the back of the tank and move the

topfin to the front side. You can remove it once the tank has cycled. The

biobugs that are currently in the topfin will stay and you will have more room

with the aquaclear to colonize even more biobugs.

What about the lid on the tank? If I run both filters, I would need to remove the lid from the tank.

And if I'm running both filters, would I lower the flow rate on the AquaClear to the minimum?

tks

Chico, if you have one of those black tank tops, I think you can remove the front lid part, the one that you open when you feed your fish. Or just have the top sit loosely on top of the filter.

Ok - I'll try that. If that doesn't work comfortably, what about cutting the old filter pad in half and stuffing it into the new filter box?

That'll work too. Lucky for you, the Aquaclear filters have so much more space for any additional filter media, I have mine always packed on full capacity. Just try to squeeze the full pad in there, or the two half parts - otherwise if you only use one half, you lose half of your beneficial bacteria.... :)

OOOOHHH good. I'll set up the new filter tonight and try to fit the old cartridge in w/it. For some reason I feel more comfortable w/the lid on the tank.

Where, exactly, should I place the old cartridge within the box? Should I place it on the bottom under the sponge, or b/n the sponge and the carbon, or on the top? Or does it really matter?

(ok - enough questions for today - I promise! :D )

I wouldn't put it under the sponge, thats where the most gunk collects, and it might block the flow of the water. Between the carbon and the sponge sounds good though... :)

Ok - I made the transition - new filter is in w/the old cartridge shoved into the box.

Now my question it: can the flow rate ever be too high? This filter has a max of 150gph. This is a 10gallon tank. Should I reduce the flow rate at all?

I have that same Aquaclear on a ten gal. tank with no problems with that flow rate.What kind of fish do you have in there,and are they being tossed all around from the stronger flow?

Two orandas. They are about 1-2 inches in length excluding the tail. Probably young. They aren't being tossed around but it seems they are avoiding that area of the tank (where the water is being dumped in). Also, one of the plants is right under the flow area....it's kinda rockin' and rolling. I should prob move the plant.

I did move the flow rate adjuster to the middle setting....but does that mean then that the gph is reduced?

I run two filters so they are dumping a stream o' water each into the tank AND I run a long bubble wall. There is all kinds of water movement in my tank. My fish seem to like it (Sometimes I even think I see the "playing " in it!) :exactly

Archived