Brown Algae?

Guest RyukinSamurai

Guest RyukinSamurai

I've found a lot of brownish stuff on the side of my tank and I'm not sure whether its brown algea or poop that suddenly decided to build up on the tank or good bacteria or what. I doubt its poop because I clean out 25% of the tank two or three times a week with a gravel cleaner ( or pitcher to scoop out poo thats floating ). Can I get rid of the brown stuff with a pleco?

I've been using an algea scraper and it seems to work, but the brown gunk always comes back after a while.

Hi RyukinSamurai, and :welcome

Yes, there is such a thing as brown algae, the one that nobody likes because it doesn't look all that pretty and doesn't serve much purpose. It is caused by either nonefficient lighting, or excess waste and nitrates in the water. What kind of lighting do you have on your tank?

The easiest way to get rid of it is just a sponge (a new piece of filter sponge will do) and just wash it off the glass periodically. If you increase the lighting, the brown algae turns into green algae, which is actually beneficial to your tank. It offers a spot for your beneficial bacteria to grow, and fish can munch on it as kind of a salad bar.

Of course, a big blanket of green algae right on the glass isn't so great looking either. I just clean my front glasses, and leave the rest untouched.

Guest RyukinSamurai

OH, well that makes a lot of sense. :)

I have two regular incandescent bulbs. I'm not sure if thats what they're called, but what I do know is that the bulbs are yellow, not white. I don't turn it on that much, maybe an hour or so a day, because it heats up the tank. The tank is almost already 80 degrees Farenheit. I have a little thermometer I got from nnnnnn, and the back of the box said to keep the temperature between 20-30 degrees Celsius. I dunno if its necessary though.

Do I need to get a white light bulb so the algea will grow and does it matter how hot it gets?

The temperature doesn't matter for the algae, it does however effect the fish. The higher the temperature, the lower the oxygen content in the water.

1 hour of light each day could be the culprit for your brown algae, and there are really only 2 options - trying to turn the light on over a longer period, or just get used to wiping off the brown algae on a regular basis. When the water gets warm, just add an airstone/airpump to the water, that will agitate the water surface and increase the oxygen percentage in the tank. 80 degrees isn't really all that bad when an airstone is present - I live in Florida, and I would be so blessed if my fish would see only 80 degrees... :lol:

Archived