What Is The Average Lifespan For A Fancy?

puggirl

just wondering about this question as i would love to have my fish for 20 or more years, but i read an article and it and they interviewed a few asian breeders and they were all asked the same question how long do fancy live for?? they all answered 7 years :( , and they said it was because they dont hibernate and because in captiviity we feed them everday, and they dont have that period of dormancy, but anyhow you would think there chance of living in side would be have better odds of a longer life then outside.

just wondering on your thoughts on this question of lifespan. :)

It depends on the conditions, for example, my betta who anchent hibernates each winter and lives super long...

I think you can aim for 12 years :exactly

Fact is that commons are the healthiest type of goldfish...they live longer, and live healthier...that doesn't mean I am gonna give up my moors :rolleyes:

Well, the reasons they give are logical.

I guess nature designed them to have a hibernation period each year which in effect is almost shutting down their life support systems. Does that mean they would live to be around 14 years if they were outdoors and allowed to hibernate?

Ditto, Fishmerized - I thought goldfish do hibernate naturally (in ponds) but they don't when we keep them in indoor tanks. What effect does not hibernating have on their lifespan?

Goldfish can live for a very long time! A lot depends on conditions. I hope it will be at least 20 years! :)

Well, I guess if they do not hibernate they are living 2 years (or seasons) indoors for every 1 year outdoors. Hibernating is not really living, it's a state of suspended animation or like a coma - sort of.

edit: basically what I'm trying to say is that they are active for twice the amount of time indoors than they would be outdoors if they hibernate in winter. Hope that makes sense.

All the sources I always read said that goldfish live 10-20 years (which is what I always tell my customers and shock them) but earlier this year I lost my ranchu Kazu out of nowhere. I had only had her about a year and a half and she couldnt have been more than 2 1/2-3 years old. Then I lost my pearlscale who ws about the same age. I started complaining about it to a friend and he was telling me that all the inbreeding and specialized breeding is what shortens their lifespans. It makes sense if you look at a common and then at a ranchu and see how much more inbred the ranchu would be. It really takes a toll on their genes and overall health.

It makes sense but its also very sad. I always loved keeping goldfish because of the long lifespans.

Archived