Help Needed

Guest Bigphil

Guest Bigphil

After my Commet, Sue, atacked and killed Sooty (Little Blackmoor) I split my 55 Gal tank in half to protect my other blackmore (Sweep). Whilst Sweep seemed realy happy with this new arangement, I felt a bit sorry for Sue as she needs a nice long area to swim and do her usual summersaults and general circus performances!. So I have now transfered Sweep to a spare 30Gal tank and am going to buy another blackmoor for company (Sooty II ).

That leaves Sue with a 55 Gal tank all too herself. I really would like to add another 2 fish but am concerned that they may be attacked. Do you think it is less likely that Sue would attack another Commet or is there perhaps another type you would recommend. I feel like adding a large shark to teach her a lesson! (only joking I still love her really)

So sorry about Sooty. That's terrible.

How big is Sue?

You know, some fish are just aggressive by nature. I have one such fish. He was in a tank on his own at the store, after quarantining him I tried to put him in with my boisterous boys but he just went feral. It was wrestlemania in there. I took him out after 10 mins and I'm afraid my new fish will always be alone. I don't even think I will put him in the patio pond because although there is lots of room I think he is just a natural born bully.

I would move Sue to the 30g and repopulate your 55g or if you want to try other fish with Sue, make sure they are also comets and bigger than her if possible.

:lol1 A Shark...boy that would teach her!! :rofl

I would get a couple more commons and stay away from the slower "fancies"! Look for fast swimmers!! She will probably "school" with like fish that can keep up with her & that might ebb her aggression!

Good luck! :yeah:

Guest Bigphil

Sue is just under 3"

I did think of putting her in 30Gal and stocking 55 Gal. Honestly can't explain why I don't feel that's the way to go. I just see her darting around all that space and if anything would love to see her in an even bigger space!!

I have really got the bug! I can't pass a pet store without going in and oggling the fish. If I had the money my flat would be full of tanks and fish! :)

Perhaps if you get a couple more comets, explain the situation to the pet store, ie. you may have to return these fish due to incompatability. Make sure that's ok with the store before you purchase.

That sounds like a good plan Phil. I'm sure Sweep would be happy in the 30 gal with a new friend....and I would go ahead and try new compatabile fish with Sue like fishmerised suggested, just let the pet store know what's going on and that they may have to come back. If Sue still doesn't get along with the new fish, I think I would probably give the 30 to her to live happily and peacefully alone and then stock your 55 with Sweep and other fancies. Best of luck whatever you choose! :)

Ditto!

I am really sorry to hear about Sooty! :heart

(Do you have Melafin - it helps to heal wounds - I keep some around just in case...)

Yeah - get another comet a little bigger than Sue - that'll teach her! :ehh

Archived