My Fishy Is Sick

Guest vonniej

Guest vonniej

Hi,

My lovely Goldfish, Buster is very sick. He won't eat. He was sitting on the bottom of the bowl, so i took him to my local pet shop about 8 hours ago, he checked the ph level in the bowl, chucked some salt in there and added some drops of "multi-care" which is supposed to aid in the treatmen of white spot, velvet disease and fungal diesases. he said to change some of the water tomorrow, and then every 3 days after that. Buster isnt sitting on the bottom anymore, he is now floating tail down at the top of the bowl. the bowl is 3litres capacity. there is a plastic plant in there, and some rocks. How long till he gets better or do i need to get ready for a funeral. i love my fishy and i dont want him to die. please help!

Hi vonnie and :welcome

First thing to try is completely changing his water in temperature and ph matched water and please use a dechlorinator. I hate to say it but I think he's doing poorly because he's in a home that's way too small for him. A goldfish needs 10 gallons of water to be healthy (40 litres) and there's probably a build up of waste, ammonia and nitrites.

Would you be able to answer as many of the questions in the white box above? Especially how often you do waterchanges, any filtration or air?

I have no idea why your pet shop person would give him meds - what are his symptoms?

So please, if you could answer as many of the question - it will help eliminate all possibilities.

But before you do - try refreshing his water.... I'd bet the bank that this is what's ailing him and believe me, fresh water with no meds is a lot better than old water and meds.

Please post back soon :)

Guest vonniej

thank you for replying,

I dont know what any of my ph levels or nitrate or anything like that. he is just in a regular glass goldfish bowl. there is no filter or pump or anything, my mum said i wouldnt need one. I usually change his water every week. he eatsgoldfish food flakes that you can buy from the supermarket, and i feed him one pinch twice a day. he usually eats it all in 5 minutes but he wont eat at all now. the water conditioner i use is called chlorine neutral and i use 3 drops for every 3 litres. he also has a bulge in his tummy that wasnt there before. he is just so listless like he is giving up on life. i hope u can help me and Buster

Guest vonniej

i just changed his water and he has perked up a little, as in he is a bit more active, instead of just floating on the top on his side he is trying to straighten himself up and swim a bit. i have left out his rocks and plastic plant so he could have more water. he now has 4.5litres instead only three. I hope he makes it through the night

Hi vonnie - there's a whole eco-system that goes on underneath the water which is helped along by filtration. When there is no filtration - then it's essential for your fish's survival that you change 100% of his water every day. The reason is that fish are very messy and the waste is converted into ammonia. Ammonia is deadly to fish but in the initial stages of a tank's cycle - it's consumed by nitrite bacteria etc... But without a filter - your fish is just swimming in highly toxic water every day.

My suggestion for now is to continue to change his water everyday - using your dechlorinator and see if there's any improvement. The only problem is, his lifespan may be cut short by the size of your tank... their growth is stunted if they remain in a bowl so hopefully someday you may think of upgrading to a tank :)

So daily waterchanges - say 50% morning and 50% night... I'm sure you'll see a major improvement just by doing this alone.

My fingers are crossed for you :)

Guest vonniej

thank you, i will purchase a bigger, better tank for him on monday with a filtration system. i have only had Buster for a few months but i love him pieces. he is a very cool fishy.

Guest vonniej

thanks for your kind thoughts. i always thought that goldfish were very hardy and easy to take care of, but after researching when Buster became ill, i now know better. my next tank will be much better equipped and more conducive to goldfish survival. thank you for your help you have been so kind. :)

Guest vonniej

absolutely jen, i will probably need lots of advice of setting up my new tank, and i will share my new fish with you when i get one. thanks for your kind thoughts fishmerised. its quite amazing how our fishies become like our children!

Archived