Weird Torn Fin

Guest Hawners

Guest Hawners

One of my little guys must have torn his fin on something or someone nibbled on him. At the very bottom point of his tail its torn and where it should be mending I think its a little black looking or dark. I had to look at him for a while to decide what it really looked like colorwise as he's chocolate colored. He doesnt look sick, he's eating and swimming and smacking when he demands treats. Just worried that its taking a little long to mend? How long does it usually take? Hes had his tail like that for almost a week and a half now without any visible improvement. I salt my tank and resalt when I do water changes. Only recent addition is a snail. Total of 5 goldfish in the tank and two dojo loaches. The goldfish range from meby 2 to 4inches.

ammonia: 0

Nitrite:0

Nitrate:0

ph: 7.6

filtration: 350+200gph marinelands on a 60gal tank thats been cycled for a little over a month now

The black is most likely a sign of healing. I have a fish that lost a piece of its tail and it has taken several months for it to grow back completely. Unless you see redness and white fuzz around the area, I wouldn't worry too much.

It isn't necessary to add salt on a regular basis to a goldfish tank. How much salt do you add?

You would be adding enough salt to make a 0.1% solution then. So, it is a low amount of salt. I was asking because some fish can get salt burns at high amounts and they will cause blackening of the fins. This can happen especially with long finned fish.

Archived