Water Starting To Fog Up?

fondoo

i started my tank 3 days ago and purchased new fish yesterday and today. i've noticed the water is starting to fog up. is there anything i can do about it beside waiting for the weekend to change the water?

Your tank is not cycled and is having an ammonia spike among other things. How big is the tank and how many fish? Do a large water change of 40% right away. Keep doing those changes of about 20% everyday for about 2 weeks. You will need to invest in some water testers like ammonia, pH, nitrites and nitrates. Read some of the articles here about the cycle of a tank. They will prove to be very helpful to you. :) If you have anymore questions, or need things explained further, just ask. :)

Guest Phreno

What dechlorinator do you use?

What's your temp?

I think 3 fish in 20 gallons is a bit overstocked. Usually its 10gals per fish, unless they're single tail, then its 20 gals per fish.

I think the cloudy water is a bacterial bloom. THe bacteria in the tank that eat debris and waste are going crazy since its a new tank. I'd reccomend doing small partial water changes every other day for a week or so. It should clear itself up eventually.

i've been using stress-coat to declorinate the water. water temp is about 76-78F. the tank was setup only 3 days ago(7/12) and i was going to change the water atleast next weekend. do i need to change the water tomorrow(7/16)?

Guest Phreno

:) First off, I would suggesting switching to prime. The aloe vera in stress coat can harm the fish. Plus, prime detoxifies ammonia, nitrite and nitrate along with chloring and chloramine.

With the pH at 7.6 and the temp at 76-78, you need to keep the ammonia below .75ppm or so, according to this chart. Test the water daily, and if it gets high change the water untill its below .75. Beware that you might have to test and change water twice a day!

With the bacteria having a field day, a few partial water changes couldn't hurt. Just keep testing for ammonia and nitrite. Once nitrite starts showing up, you'll need to add salt, and we can help you through that when the time comes.

So, do you think you can get a bigger tank maybe? In the long run, it would be really advantageous.

Archived