Fry Ratios

Tazz Knight

:newfish

My goldfish mated about two weeks ago. Ironically I have two males(both comets) and 4 females(2 fantails and 2 Orandas). I anyone away of the ratio that the fry mill come out as. I was looking at the fry last night(as I do every night, so excited cause it's my first time have my fish breed) and I saw 2 fry with twin tails, so I am assuming they will be either a fantail or oranda. Thanx for your comments and help! I'ma Granddaddy...lol

Wow, with a such a big potential number of parent combinations it is hard to tell what percentage will be single tailed, and which will be having fancy tails.

Its hard enough when you have both fancy parents, like both orandas or both fantails - even then you will find fry with single tails. If you can't pinpoint a bit closer on which fish are the parents, then all you need is time and a good eye. Just for the fun of the experiment, I would separate them by tail shape when they get bigger. That gives you a picture of a percentage.

Oh, and btw, :welcome !

thanx for the welcome, it is greatly appreciated. I came accross this site when I was looking for help with my fry. You and I had the same idea about separating the fish when they are bigger. I have a spare 20 and a 29 that are not set up. Plan on going to the pet store this weekend and get equipment for the 29 and set it up this weekend in preparation for the move in about 5-6 weeks when the fry should be bigger. Hopefully, that will be plenty of time to have some plants growing and to have the tank cycled a bit for their arrival. Also, plan on taking some water from the tank the parents are in an using it to help the new tank in the cyling process.

Archived