Black Things In Prime!

Kissy

My fish has some sort of parasite, and today I changed 8 of the 29 gallons added some new prime, and some prazi. He perked up for a while, but now he is sitting at them bottom in between plants. The ammonia was a tiny bit high at .25 so I was going to a water change. I was about to add more prime but there are thousands of little black dots swimming around in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The container was kinda sucked in too. What is this??!???!?

I read on their web page the black specks are normal. I'll find the page for you.

Here you go Prime Hope fishy perks up, I normaly don't medicate but rather like to salt first. Some parasites become resistant to medications, but salt seems to kill anything off.

if you do to many water changes, you'll never cycle, and will always have ammounia... so watch the changes... when cycling, i try not to change more then 10% in 24 hours...

The Prime I have has the black specs in it too and if you look on the Prime FAQ page on that website it says that its normal in the answer to the first question.

363307[/snapback]

I even looked there..I don't know how I missed that one.

The temp and pH determine how high you can let ammonia get. Here's the chart.

Ammonia Toxicity

Good luck with yer fish.

363306[/snapback]

Gah...its blocked by cyberpatrol. I know its nothing bad, its just a bad program. could someone find out for me? pH: 8.2 temp: 80-85* F

Guest EdRooney
:( I have recently gotten into collecting goldfish and i have a question that applies to goldfish parasites. I have a 30 gallon tank in which i put two large comets in for about a week and a half and they did great! Then i put in two new baby black moors. The four got along really really well. However, over the last few days, one of the comets and one of the moors have small white dots all over them and are very sluggish. They perk up when i feed them but then get sluggish again. The white dots look like the "icks" mentioned in this website. Also, their poo is long and stringy and doesnt always come off the fish right away. Supposedly this is due to stress and improper feeding. I have live plants in the tank and religiously maintain the water and have two filter systems running at once. I also give them light by means of a fluorescent light. Does anyone have any tips on how to help my little moors? I love them to death....they're just babies and are very cute and i dont want anything to happen to them. Any feeding tips or tank care tips? Thanks a bunch! great site!- ryan

Welcome to the fishy world ryan :)

You are a little overstocked...each comet needs 15-20 gallons each, and each moor needs 10 gallons each. Do you have anywhere else you can put them? White stringy poo can be a sign of an internal parasite. I would go to the petstore as soon as you can and buy an external parasite medicine. The best thing for internal parasites would be metro-med or medi-gold. Both are only available online at www.goldfishconnection.com. They are medicated food, and it is the best way to fight internal problems :) Where do you live? I think delivery is restricted to some countries. Do you have something to test the water with? Important tests are: ammonia, pH, nitrites, and nitrates, but its always nice to be able to test other things like kH, gH, and chlorines, but they are not necassary. Since you are overstocked with new fish, the nitrogen cycle may not be able to handle the extra waste, and ammonia can quickly rise to dangerous levels. Do you know what the nitrogen cycle is? If not, here's a link: Cycling the tank Sorry if this is kinda overloading, but its not too bad :P

Since you started a topic kind of under a topic, the mods might not see it in time and sick fish always need to be helped as soon as possible. I'm not a mod, but I'll do my best to move this to the Disease forum for you so you can get more help :)

Good luck with your fishies Ryan :)

Okay, I copied and pasted your reply into the 911 subforum under goldfish diseases to make your own topic so you can get some help faster. Hopefully the mods don't get mad at me! The Topic is called "EdRooney's Sick Fish".

Archived