Oscars

Mystizah

I have inherited 2 huge oscars. My roomate accepted them when his friend offered them to him (as he was moving) when we got them both the fish were in a 40 gal and could bearly do anything. I felt sorry for the fish and let my roomate put them in our 60gal. They were doing ok for a while but i know that there is still not enough room for both of them. They fight everyday because of once chooses on side of the tank the other wants that side also. then the next day they are fighting over the other side. What should I do? my roomate does not take good care of them and could care less if i got rid of them. Should I sell them to the LFS? i cant buy separate tanks for them both of them...my babies are the goldies and I dont even have the money to spoil them the way i want. Will the oscars be fine? should I sell one? maybe give one away? any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thank you so much.

Hi Mystizah.

I recently read a really interesting article about oscar aggression in the july issue of TFH.

The author of the article wrote that she drastically reduced the aggresion in her oscar by lowering the water temp to 72 degrees F.

You should definately find out if your LFS would be willing to take one of the oscars just so you know if that's an option, (which I think is what you will have to do).

Best of luck.

Yes I talked it over with my roomate (who wants to eat them--he said they look like colorful tilapia LOL) and asked him if we could sell them to the LFS. It will help him pay the rent! Thanks for the tip on the water temp. I went over to the tank to check the temp and its at about 80-82F and i went to check the heater and realized it was not on. Does anyone have anytips for keeping the water a tad cooler? I live in Southern california desert area. The best I could think of is to keep the tank away from the window--which it is. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Archived