Which Fancy Is Ok With Common/commet?

Mystizah

I have a 40 gal tank with a 2.5 in common and a 2.5 in commet. I have had them for almost a year a few months in a 20 gal and now in the 40 gal. I was wondering if it would be fine if i added one more gf. but a fancy this time. I absolutely love my common and commet but I never had a fancy and though it might be nice to get one. any ideas and thoughts would be greatly appreciated. thank u.

Hi Mystizah. I have a common who shares a tank with 2 fantails and 1 oranda.

I haven't had any problem with their compatability at all. But, I have read other post warning against mixing commons with fancies. Commons can swim very fast and can be a bit rough at times. But, I myself have not any problems.

I would like to mention though, if your comet and common are healthy they are going to get very big. I know the 40 gal. seems fine at the present, but when they start growing it will not seem so big. You might want to take that into consideration before added another fish, because it is suggested that you have 15-20 gals. per fish on commons, but that is really a minimum.

Yeah i am leaning towards not getting another one but u cant help but consider when u see all these beautiful fish at the LFS. I think that getting another goldie may not be a good idea because the new fish would be a 3rd wheel. My common and commet are the best of friends! I am not sure that they would like to have another goldie in the tank. They are however fine with bottom feeders as I had 2 corys a few months ago. Thank you for your insight. I always love to hear stories about commons/commets. I dont hear enough about them but they are so packed with personality!

Guest Chishower

I have a three inch comet with a 1.5 inch oranda and a 4 inch oranda, and the little oranda shoves that comet around and steals his food. I have to hand feed the comet.

If you DO get a fancy, get an oranda. They are pigs and can hold their own.

thank you. orandas are nice. maybe if i move my goldies to the 60 galon tank I will get a fancy. My hubbie wants to get rid of the huge oscars which are in HIS 60 gal. he rather have the goldies in there. i would have so much fun making in to my personal goldie haven!

I dont hear enough about them but they are so packed with personality!

I know what you mean. I really do love my common. He's pretty neat, lots of personality. It's because of him (he was won at a carnival) that I fell in love with goldfish.

I say don't get another fish for that tank. Eventually the common/comet

will need that space. 20 gallon per single tailed fish sounds very goood

to me. And im sure your fish will just love it. More space the better.

Yeah, Id advise against it with your current tank, if you get a larger one get it :) and get an oranda, they are gorgous and will hopefully be able to stick up for himself. Maybe if you get a 60-70 gallon tank or bigger, you can buy two fancys to put in with your common and comet so that if they leave the fancy out he has another friend to play with :D

u are right. Of course I was just curious I am so happy with my two lil ones tho. I cant wait until they get bigger! they will eventually be moved to the 60 gal. thanks for everyones advice.

Guest yabbie

I don't know about that fancy fish with commons rule. I have a common, a comet, a shibunkin (the three speediest fish) in with a fantail.

Guess who uses headbutting and ramming tactics on the others?

The fantail is rough as guts. A big fat bully! <_<

Archived