New Killifish - Not Going Well - Help!

Graham

I received a shipment this morning of 8 killifish - gardneri - four japanese cherry shrimp - plants, and one betta. Betta in separate tank - doing fine.

Plants, killis, shrimp were all to go into a new set-up with water treated with Prime (first run through a charcoal filter) and using Eco-complete substrate (blackwater present)...

SO what iS WronG!?!?! :help1

It has been 7 hours are they are majorly stressed out! Have no color! I am not sure but it looks like their gills are not normal (pH burns?), three jumped the pail (two might make it, one is a goner - waiting to see if I need to euthanize him - but how? I don't have any of the stuff listed on the Euthanasia page... he will be dead in a few hours, I think).

Do I need to salt the water? How can it take 7 hours to acclimate fish?

I don't know what to do - but I have to get them in to the tanks soon... Ahhhhh!

Poor fishies :( You've got me stumped on the water tho. As for eutanizing, the easiest way might be to put the fish in a bag of water and put it in the freezer. It's controversal on if it is a good way to euthanize, but most ways are. If he's that far gone it's probably the right thing to do. I'm almost positive it is a good way for goldfish, but I'm not really sure about kilis since they aren't coldwater :(

Have you tested the water yet? That's the only thing I can think of..maybe they are just scared?

I hope the others make it!

Well, it all worked out! They are as hardy as reported. I gave up and dumped them all in the tank -YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED NEXT!

The beautiful blue, brown and yellow colors starting leaping off their little bodies! They were all fine, really happy, and the color started to come out! :pianobanana

I don't know if it's the Eco-Complete or the flourescent light... whatever it is, those fish are perfectly fine now!

That must have been it! I didn't realize that would stress them out - I thought I was helping them by leaving them to acclimatise more!

Their gills still look a little red, swollen, and streaked with white - if they can hang in there until monday I will have test drops to see if there are any params I can fix to to help them breathe...

Or is that what killifish gills look like? None of the pictures look like that!

Is it becasue they are young? Their color isn't filled out yet so maybe they are just more tranparent now?

The people at AKA never seem to get online! :lol:

(PS - Two jumpers survived, recovering form some gill damage - one little guy didn't make it - he seemed to recover a little (he was out the longest judging by his level of purpleness) but he snapped his spine in two when he landed in the sink. I hoped he might survive crippled bu the did not make it.)

All seven doing perfectly fine! :D Color is becoming vey pronounced now and I have learned that they are not broen but red! So, all that red I was worried about around the gills is ok - it's a comnination their red patterning at the gill and the flourescent light shining right through them. Killis are fun! Try some! :)

Hey! I did not post on your thread right now as I thought you were out of town! Does this mean you got to stay home!? Or are you visiting us form your travels?

The two rubbermaid thing sounds like a much better idea and I'm really glad your mom came around and decided to help Oliver! :)

I bet, I have a feeling, that he wil be doing ok when you get home - that he will be waiting for you! Take a break form goldies if you need to (they are a huge committment) but don't take a break from us at Koko's! We'll miss you!

You can visit me on the tropicals page - when you and your dad get back from the great fish store with friends for your tetras.

Things are going a lot better here since I am finally getting a proper set-up. So, just wait until you know you have everything you need and then that special goldie will find you! I thought about offering to take Oliver but I don't have any place for a QT set-up (or tank or filter for it...) :( But, we will see...

Hang in there - I think you will find this one just may work for you!

Go, OLIVER! :heart PS - I like your new siggy!

Archived