Need Help

Guest zena

My orando isn't taking very much food Dry flakes. He doesn't like Brink shrimo, nor peas. . I am cycling the water and he doesn't want to have the tap water exchange anymore. He doesn't like the the drops to put in the water to declorine, I had him a month the ph 7 Ammonia Level is zero, nitrite is zero, nitrate is zero, Ph level is 6. Ph level out of tap is 7. He not very lively and spits up his food when he eats. He is on the skinny side. Pleae help. Thanks.

Hi Zena, still having problems with not eating I see.

Your water levels are fine except the pH is too low and this may explain why your fish is not feeling well.

The reason your fish "doesn't like" water changes is because it is stressed and the tap water has a higher pH so each time the water is changed, the pH changes, this is extremely stressful for fish.

I'm going to look for your previous post to see if you included details of the size of your tank. back soon.

I see you have a 5g tank. Your tank will be much healthier if you have a filter. Sorry, not sure if you do or not.

You do need to continue the water changes (including water conditioner) but small, more frequent changes will be less stressful to your fish. Can you change about 1 gallon of water everyday?

You must have very soft water in your area. Over time the nitrification process of the tank turns water acidic (lowers pH). Small daily water changes will help stabilise the pH slowly so it doesn't stress your fish.

If you fish is not eating, I suggest witholding food for about 3 days then trying again. Uneaten food will just make the water bad.

A tip for changing water. Remove 1 gallon from the tank. Fill a bucket with replacement water and add water conditioner to the bucket, probably only need one or two drops (check instructions, 1 gallon = 4 litres). Allow bucket to sit on the bench for half an hour so the temperature matches the tank water before adding to the tank.

I hope you will find that after a week of daily water changes your pH will be stable, your water parameters will be perfect and your fish will feel like eating.

Hi zena,Welcome to the board.Sorry to hear that you're having fishy problems.I'm sure that you allready have realized that a 5 gal. tank,isn't quite big enough for your fish.Those little fish Piggies grow rather large,and are quite dirty to boot.They need filter's on their tank because of that,and it's recommended that you house them with filter's that flow 10 x's over the size of their tank. Do you have a filter on your tank? I also notice that the tanks been running for a month,and that all the readings are reading 0,so it doesn't sound as if your tank has cycled yet. How often are you doing the water changes,and how much water are you changing out? A ph difference from 6 to a 7 is a difference,but I don't think quite enough to cause any severe problems. However,the low ph can cause some problems for your fish,and why you must maintain with the water changes.You'll be surprised how fast your fish will get use to them.My fish adore Water changes!!! :lol: They harass me the whole time for Hugs andFishy Kisses,and Pro-Gold(or anything else that they can get their hands on) :lol: Is your fish showing any other symptoms other than the not-eating?Frayed,or Clamped fins/Scratching against things/Red streaks in tail,etc? Is there a chance that you can have a look at his gills to see if they're a nice pink red color,or if they look kind of dark,etc? Listnesses and spitting out food could also be a sign of Parasites.Do you have any aquarium salt in the house?

Archived