Sexing Bubble Eyes

blinky000

hia, i want to start breeding bubble eyes and was wondering if there is a more obvious way of telling the differnce between a male and female? i know you can turn them over and have a look but i think id be banned from the petshop so any ideas?

Sometimes you will be lucky and the fish will be showing the breeding tubercles when you see them in the tanks at the stores. They look like little raised white dots on the gill covers and along the first ray of the pectoral fin. Only the first ray of the fin. It kind of reminds me of a little line of sandpaper.

If they aren't in breeding condition, these things are much harder to see, but usually can be seen on close inspection. However, if the fish are very young, they will not be there yet.

Hope this helps.

thanks, i just came back from getting them, they are so lovely. i will post a pic soon so keep checking back here. two of my fish have one anal fin with the anal port sticking out but another has 2 fins and the anal port isnt as visable. could this be another way to tell or is he just wierd?

Archived