Question About Anchor Worms

coyote ugly

I noticed that the new fish I got have some anchor worms sticking out of their body so my husband took the worms out with a tweezer.The problem is,since most of the worms are so thin,my hubby thinks he left out a few heads in there.I've read that when you take out the worms,the head shouldn't be left in so my question is what will happen if the head is left inside the fish?Will the fish die? :unsure: Thanks for any input :)

HI CU,

Chances are since it causes a wound tech and decaying head in it, it would lead to a infected wound. Think of yourself with a cut w/dirt in it! Dimilin is generally whats used to kill anchor worms. Not sure if you could find it your way though.

Thanks Kathy! I got a med for anchor worms and medicated the tub.

Refish

Trichlorfon 1.5 g/10 g

Hydrochloric acid chlorhexidine 0.12 g/10 g

Sodium chloride 8.33 g/10 g

Will it do?This is the only one they've got for anchor worms.Is there anything else I can do to prevent any infections?I did swab the wounds with iodine except for the ones near the fishies eye.

Sounds good though CU. Hopefully the iodine should do the job, but if they look like they are getting yucky down the road, maybe clean a bit with peroxide and repeat. :D

I was trying to think back on some of things I learned, recalled one of the pet flea meds is either dimilin or prazi , but its been awhile... :blink: so can't remember which for sure, but seems like it was dimlin and grrrrrrrrrr, think it was either program or advantage.... :rofl Got to be old age or too much sun, the mind is mia tonight.... :ignore

Do you buy all your fish from the same place?

362330[/snapback]

These newbies came from the same place and the same tank...I checked them before I put them in the tank and there were no worms.After 2 days,I just saw some bloody bumps and found worms :( How lucky can I get?! :(

Sounds good though CU. Hopefully the iodine should do the job, but if they look like they are getting yucky down the road, maybe clean a bit with peroxide and repeat.  :D  

I was trying to think back on some of things I learned, recalled one of the pet flea meds is either dimilin or prazi , but its been awhile... :blink:   so can't remember which for sure, but seems like it was dimlin and grrrrrrrrrr, think it was either program or advantage....  :rofl   Got to be old age or too much sun, the mind is mia tonight....  :ignore

362331[/snapback]

Thanks! I sure hope nothing yucky will happen to their wounds and I hope the worms die with the meds.But just in case,I'm gonna get some peroxide and try to look for dimilin! :D

Anchor worms are really not all that difficult to deal with - the adults are relatively easy to kill - but you want to make sure that you get all the juveniles. Having your qt tank barebottom will help.

As far as pulling the anchor worms off, yes, to some degree there can be problems, but you stand a far more serious problem if, when you pull them off, they tear out a large chunk of your fish where they are attached.

As the others have said - unless the areas start to look really infected, I would not be overly concerned. Meds to kill the parasites, good water and time will heal most skin wounds and the body has a way of rejecting things - splinters in your fingers work out over time easily. A touch of peroxide on the infected spot could be the most needed in the case of infection.

It is sad that new fish come with problems, but, with any luck, you should have them cured up quickly and the anchor worms will be nothing but a distant bad memory! :)

Thanks everyone :) I'm sorry I haven't got back sooner.They are all good now with no worms at all or so I think.There are no more visible worms and their wounds healed up nicely!Thank you all for all the help :D

:) Good to hear that they are doing better. I had someone tell me yesterday that "Goldfish" are too easy,no real challenge,and that they are almost impossible to kill. :crp He of course has tropicals,and can't even name one type of fish that he has..... :rolleyes: I can't believe that people still think that way about goldfish,but hey anyway,I'm glad yours are doing better.Just keep a lookout for a while,until you know it's safe for sure! ;)

Good to hear CU! And yup, I was right, Program is the one that's dimlin.

diflubenzuron is the actual name for dimlin....

Trichlor also has a ph range where it works best, 7.8 or under, higher then that it becomes very challenged and may take longer to work or one has to up the dosage some! Not good on plants either this one!

Thanks Devs :D checked on their bodies again and so far,all is good with no worms.I just hope I don't see another anchor worm ever!I took all the fish outside for the summer and I think they are really enjoying it :D

Thanks Kathy :D Didn't find any dimilin here so I used refish with trichlor instead.I was a bit nervous though because it said not to use if the water temp is over 28*C and my tanks are all 29*C :o Good thing nothing bad happened though!

Archived