A Beautiful Ranchu!

Hello Everyone!

I just wanted to tell everyone that I finally found a petstore that was selling a Ranchu! I had never seen one up close before, and I was in love with him immediatley! :heart The store didn't even know what it had, they were calling him a Ryukin!? How they could mix them up, I'll never know, but I had to have him! He's 3 inches head to tail, and all red with a little bit of white. AWESOME tail tuck, and you'll never believe how much I got him for............................5 bucks! I can't even believe it! I've wanted one for so long, and now my 60 gallon collection is complete! My digital camera is acting up or I'd already have photos for you! Soon though I promise. Oh she's adorable! :heart

ONE question though;

I'm following Rick's advice over at the goldfish connection about quarentining, a point three percent salting, and Medi Gold for two weeks....but he also said it would be smart to treat for Flukes. What do you guys say about that? I've been operating under the idea that if they are not showing symtoms you shouldn't over medicate...but he is an amazing expert when it comes to goldfish....Any opinions?

Guest LiL sTepHii 143

is a ranchu the ones that look like a lionhead ? I dont know my goldfish lol .. Cant wait to see the pics ! Thats like my petshop over here they have not a clue what goldfish they have they keep them in a mix tank for 2.99 and some times 2 for $5. Good luck !

By the way Lilypetal, I have no idea how they could get the two mixed up, they are in no way similar, other than the obvious fact that they are from the same distant gene pool! That is whjy I don't normally shop at this particular petstore....they are a wee bit incompetant! LOL!

Congrats on your new fish! He sounds lovely. :D

About the quarentine....remember to get the salt up to .3 gradually and yes you can treat for flukes at the same time (even if you don't have any signs of them).

This is what Toothless recommends:

As for quarentine, I VERY HIGHLY suggest that a one month quarentine be implemented. Problems can sometimes take time to surface. Throughout the quarentine period, a 0.3% salt solution should be applied. If possible, praziquantel should also be applied. Salt and prazi can and should be used together during the quarentine as it will take care of 90% of the microscopic parasites that we commonly see on our goldfish and koi. If argulus, lernea or ergasilus are found to be on the fish (they are highly visible), Dimilin should be applied.

Best of luck! :D

Archived