Male Or Female Goldfish?

fondoo

:unsure:

That is very hard to tell from what I have learned.....If the saying is true that follows with cats most calico's are females....it is very rare to find a male calico...oh wait you don't have calico's....well then....

Sorry bout that ne how I know there is a way to tell.....but I can not be too sure on what to tell you.....Are you worried about them breeding?...or does one of them have breeding stars?....I would watch for breeding behavoir, one chasing the other one around things like that nudging the tails etc.....

Geez that was prolly no help what so ever...... :blink:

how do you know if a goldfish is a male or female??

362257[/snapback]

Lots of ways, none of them trully accurate though, one is to check the vent, or the poop's exit and see if it protrude, if it does it's likely o be a female and the tricky part is if it doesn't you can't tell, second is by breeding stars if there are pimple like dots around the gill plates it's most likely a male, if there's none you can't tell :lol: and lastly is by looking at the stomach area if it's un-symetrical during the hot seasons it is more likely to be a female as the egg build-up can cause the odd shape and if it is symetrical you can't tell :krazy::rofl like I said none of the ways of telling is trully accurate

EDIT: heh no offense

:unsure:

That is very hard to tell from what I have learned.....If the saying is true that follows with cats most calico's are females....it is very rare to find a male calico...oh wait you don't have calico's....well then....

Sorry bout that ne how I know there is a way to tell.....but I can not be too sure on what to tell you.....Are you worried about them breeding?...or does one of them have breeding stars?....I would watch for breeding behavoir, one chasing the other one around things like that nudging the tails etc.....

Geez that was prolly no help what so ever...... :blink:

362261[/snapback]

calico's sex are purely random and behavior is almost random too

Calico cats are totally diffren't then.....I know for a fact that it is hard to find a male I have been told this by vets and breeders so I am sticking with that one....

Good idea's bout sexing a fish!! never thougt to look there.....or looking at the tummy.... :)

Calico cats are totally diffren't then.....I know for a fact that it is hard to find a male I have been told this by vets and breeders so I am sticking with that one....

Good idea's bout sexing a fish!! never thougt to look there.....or looking at the tummy.... :)

362268[/snapback]

it depends on the type of calicos then if we're thinking the same thing, males are more proned to deeper colors therefore a male calico can have metallic red spreading throughout, but it's still calico, so for an inexperience eye, I wouldn't suggest telling or merely guessing a sex by that method, a sakura calico type would be torture for the buyer choosing sex based on color

for the beginner, i would say the most easiest and reliable way is to look for breeding stars. if your fish are happy and un-stressed, they will show breeding stars almost year round (at least in my experience... or maybe my boys are just extra 'rowdy' :blink: ) there are so many pix of these floating around here, lemme go find one. :)

the boys only show breeding stars, on the gills, like maniacholic said, and also on the fronts of hte fins (flippers on their sides)

Guest LiL sTepHii 143

I heard also that there are WAY more calico female cats then males.... my grandma has a calico female. I have a calico telescope fish .... I wonder if its a male or female.... hmmmm..........

Archived