Sign in to follow this  
jawlovesstewie

Stupid Females

I have a tank i have divided into 4... 3 males (although i only have 2 and the 3rd section is currently guppy babies) and one 4 females....

NE WAY... ;)

I had one female... got 2 more 2 go with her and she got pop eye from the stress and died....

One female became dominate so i got another female 2 balance it out... she was younger and smaller and all was good... untill yesterday!!!!

She is bigger now and decided she wants 2 b boss and has toally mamed the other 2! So they r in floating spawning tanks in the trop tank...

They look shocking! I have added some multicure 2 prefent them getting ne thing since they have tawn fins (what is left of em) and missing scales and all sorts of terrible things!

Is there ne thing i can do 2 prevent this hapening again or should i just keep em separated?

:unsure:

:unsure: What size is this tank that you've divided into 4? Females do okay together if they have plenty of room,and hidey area's for each of them.I really don't think that three females is a big enough number.I've heard it works better with about five or so,but as I have not done this-I'm no expert.I know touchofsky has,maybe she can help you on that part. :)

Guest Jenna68

I myself have had at least 50+ girls live in a grow out tank with very minor nips but these were spawn sisters. I would NOT reccomend having that many girls in anything less then a 10 gallon heavily planted tank. if you divided a 10 gallon 4 ways then thats the first mistake cuz that just isnt enough room to spread the aggression out. Only divived a 10 gallon 3 ways is my opinion. :)

cath

Im not sure about gallons.... I think it is about a 25L tank... the girls section is much bigger though

I I I I

I I I I

I I I I

I I________ I I eg of divide

I I I I

I___ I________ I___ I

well that didnt work!

I......I...............I......I

I......I________.I......I

I___I_________I___ I

OK full stops r nothing just 2 keep it spaced... I and _ are glass im not good at this!

edit: this sux it looks right in edit oh well c the 1st side... its a miror image of the other side!

Edited by jawlovesstewie

i would invest in a tank just for the girls, with lots of space, and many decorations. they are VERY territotial. Like said above, i would get a 10 gallons tank (sorry, dont know the conversion) for them. untill then, i would seperate them... like into vases or something if you dont have enough dividers

Yeah the 2 older ones have no fins at all left!!! They r in a divided spawning tank floating in the trop tank... i dont want 2 put them in vases as i prefer 2 keep them in a heated tank

I keep several tanks of females without aggression problems. I think the key is to have enough females, enough hiding spots (little caves, rocks, plants), and enough room.

I would recommend having a group of no less than 5 females. This way they establish a pecking order, but no on is bottom on the list. Also, introduce them to the tank all at the same time, and keep an eye on them closely for a few days.

There will be some chasing and nipping, but there shouldn't be any all out aggression or damage.

I wouldn't suggest keeping them in anything less than a 40 liter tank (10 gallon).

I hope this helps and please feel free to ask questions.

I once tried to keep corydoras catfish with the female bettas. The bettas didn't bother the catfish at all, however, the catfish almost starved since the females were so greedy.

I keep 7 female bettas in a 10 gallon (40 liter) tank, with a filter. They are doing just great! I have had them for about 1 1/2 years, and one is getting to look quite elderly. The others look very good, though.

In another tank, I have female bettas with zebra danios and white clouds along with a bristlenose pleco. Absolutely no problems with that grouping. This is a 25 gallon tank (100 liters).

What were you thinking of getting?

ok so 10 gallon is 40L or 4?... I think 40 sounds better.... Well we have a pretty empty 2foot tank... It has 12 tetras 5 bristlenose one albina catfish and one guppy although I have many of her babies on thir way 2 being alowed back into the tank... would it be ok 2 have the girls in with them? would I need 5 or would the 2 bashed up ones be ok with lots of hidy places from each other and other fish?

5 female bettas follows the gallon of water per inch of fish rule, and after having a terrible bacterial outbreak in an overcrowded tank, i would ONLY do 5 females in a 40L tank. just because all of my girls have always gotten large and... girthy.... :D

Arrggg, yes typo time. 10 gallons is approx. 40 liters. I corrected that in my above post :)

A 2 foot tank is probably approx. 20 gallons (depends on the height). You could try putting the two girls in the 2 foot tank. They may do better since they can get away from each other in that tank. I haven't found any aggression from my female bettas towards my danios and white clouds, so I wouldn't imagine the other fish would be a problem. You will have to watch you don't overstock the 2 foot tank, though, since you have lots of guppy babies :)