Quarentining Question

Kissy

If you bought two goldfish from two different tanks from a petstore that had a central filter, would you quarentine them together? I always thought no, but then I realized that they already share the same water along with many other fish. So I'm curious now lol. Btw, I'm not going to get new fish for at least two months (AT LEAST) but I'm just wondering for future reference.

Unless you have the facilities to quarantine them in two large enough, fully cycled tanks, I would do them together. All fish that I buy at a show from one breeder are quarantined together if they are compatible, for they share water - even if it is only for a day or a number of hours. I also run all new fish through a regiment of treatments, no matter where they came from.

I would have to assume, that coming from common water, they could be considered to have come from the "same" tank - even if there are glass walls of division. The water is what counts....

If one has an obvious problem that the other does not show - then you would want to try harder to keep them separate.

:)

Thanks daryl :) I've got a 15 gallon rubbermaid, and I can always steal my sister's ten gal tub if I need it :) If I do get two fish at once, I'll probably just use the 15 gallon because I only have the money to buy 1 filter. I plan on buying a 50 gallon rubbermaid one day.... *sigh* It will hold a couple comets and they will grow so big :) That migt have to wait til after college tho heh

Archived