Any Entertainment Ideas

Roano

I have a bunch of Salvinia natans, aka 'water lettuce'; a small floating plant that has hanging roots. It was at night, a time which my calico oranda is most active, and I was reading in bed. I looked up to glance at my tank, and saw him pushing a couple of the water lettuce around the surface, shoving it into the middle of the tank, making a small cluster. Once he was done, he went to the other side of the tank where more plants were, and was, I think, trying to push them around but the filter was in the way.

Last night he did it again, and I can to the conclusion that he was bored and I've been thinking I should give him some kind of entertainment. I've heard of putting a ball in there for fish to shove around, and I might try doing that. Does anyone have any entertainment ideas that have worked for their fish?

Nope, never have. Do you mean like earthworms, or more like commercial food, like the live daphnia?

Any of those as long as you know they are safe.You can use earth/blood worms,water flea,ghost shrimp(If bettas will eat these),brine shrimp.To make sure the earthworms are safe get a wet paper towel and wrap the worm in it for 2 days.It makes sure the earth in it's system is out.Then take it out and hold it in running water.Then chop it if you need to.

That's really cute; hmmm... maybe I need to get him a floating thermometer! I really like watching him do it, but want to make sure he isn't bored. Hopefully he won't stop doing it, but I haven't seen him do it recently.

Maybe you could put a bubble wall - for him to swim through! Tickles!

Once in a while I give GN live bloodworms - he loves it!

A ball might be fun - I am going to put a marimo ball in there for him. A pingpong ball (hmm, might float) or a (clean) golfball could be fun!

Actually, I just did put a bubble bar in, but I have yet to see them play with it. Maybe the do it when I'm not there.

Ping pong ball's a good idea, I was thinking more rubber ball, but wasn't sure how I'd make it move under a partial hood I have... I like the ping pong idea better!

Guess I need to start feeding live food maybe, sounds like it provides them with something to do.

No ping pong balls, I will have to get one, but if I remember by the time I get it, I'll let you know!

You could make a little maze out of some kind of clear pipes, big enough for your fish to turn around in, and put some dead ends with little pieces of it's favorite food in it or in random spots in the pipes. The only reason I say clear is so you can see if your fishie gets stuck or lost in there. The same kind of maze some people make for ferrets.

I hope it sounds like an idea you ( and your fishie ) will like. Oh, and make some different "doors" that you can open and close to make it more interesting and so you don't have to make a gigantic maze.

Mebbe this'll help some. I hope so.

:nana

I say just try out different foods with them..they get very excited..i tried out a tiny amount of salmon, peas, spinach, lettuce, egg whites, e.t.c...my fish have a ball of a time :D

I need to start feeding them more different things instead of their regular diet.

Anic that sounds like a cool idea! Is there a certain type of pipe I should use? I would just use aquarium sealent right?

I would say to use PVC pipe, but I don't know if they make clear PVC or not. I know they use PVC for ferret mazes. I would say to use aquarium sealant to be safe. I think any large pipe will work, just make sure you can see through to make sure your fishie doesn't get stuck.

:happydance

I agree with anic...though the maze I had made years ago was from a styrofoam box that an electrical applicance was shipped in. I cut holes in the walls and put in blocks to make dead ends. I guided my gold fish through it the first time and amazingly, they remembered and never got caught in the same dead end twice...there goes that thought that a goldfish can only remember the last 30 seconds of his/her life :rofl

Archived