Filtration For A 40g With 3 Goldies

Hi,

I think it would depend on the size of your fish.

If they're small, then I'd expect 2 cans to be OK.

If they're big, like 5" excl. tail, I'd recommend another filter to help with mechanical filtration. I find cans aren't as good as other power filters at removing solids.

Slugger :)

My stepmom has one, she's not using it (I think throwing it out!) and it did a good job of cleaning the trops tank. So if she does toss it I might have to snag it before it goes curbside. It leaks but nothing aquarium sealant can't patch up.

For a 40 gallon tank you will want a 400gph flow rate so figure out the flow rate on the canisters and then you can decide if it's enough. Idealy you want the total volume of water in the tank to filter itself completely in an hour, so to get that you multiply the volume (gallons) by 10 (10x). I'm sure you know that but I rambled and couldn't stop. Haha.

Wow, that looks impressive. Is it an Eheim Pro 3?

I don't think it will be up to scratch on its own, but would be a great addition.

I have 5 tray cannister for my 29g tank, but still used to get poop floating around so I also have a power filter. The parameters used to be perfect with the cannister on its own though.

I suppose it really depends on the type/pump rate of cannister you have now, and the fish you got or will get.

Useful?

Slugger :)

Guest Grey Legion

Filtration, really depends on water quality and bio-load and GPH ( Gallons Per Hour )

If you want to get the best bang for your buck a canister is the way to go..

here are some simple tips to keep it running well>

#1 ditch the carbon ( no need to use it in any aquarium )

#2 Cut the tubes to the right length ( no big dips or bends )

#3 Keep the inlet screen clean and free of debris

#4 rinse you filter media often ( rinse in the bucket you do water changes with , some say use dirty tank water, I use tap water BUT I do not water change at the same time )

#5 never do a water change and a media rinse at the same time ( see #4 )

Also if you perform regular water changes 35-50% a week you should be ok bio-load wise and of course we all know don't over stock..

One last thing be sure to shop around for a canister Rena, Fluval, Eheim,hydor all make good ones try to find one that fits your wallet and your tank, also look for vendors that carry spar parts...that will help make your choice a eay and stress free one if problems should arise in the future..

Guest Grey Legion

I guess it is a give and take

having one big filter means ALOT of suction to get all the debris

but you have to shut down your entire filter system to clean the filter

having 2 mean a little less suction but you can have them located on seperated sides of the tank covering a larger area also when you clean one you can keep the other running this will help maintain a healthy benificial bacteria in your tank !!

Good luck !!

WoW! That's an Eheim Pro! You lucky devil (oh, I guess you are still deciding what to get...) Two 200s would be practical as mentioned above but also because if you ever change your set-ups - it gives you more options. But, for the buck, it is easier to get one biggie... I understand! I just ordered one (not a pro) for my tank that is a bit too big because I want the option to use my expensive filter on a bigger tank when I upgrade next year. There shoud be a filter control valve on it but if not, there might be some ideas in DIY on how to mitigate flow. Another option, the one I am going to try first, is to place ornaments and plants in ways that break up the outflow so it circulates but does not just blast into the tank.

Check out the Eheim website and they will give you a good idea of which canister size is best for the filtration rate you want - usually double for a goldie. Think about how many you have in your tank, how big they are, and how often you care ot perform maintenance (a smaller one will need more frequent changes).

I chose Eheim, too, but there are some good ones with a range prices as mentioned above. In my comparison, I read that fluval canisters filter from top o bottom and this is not ideal... I do not know if all their models are like that.

I have read with goldies, one ideally wants ALL the water int he tank to circulate 8-10 times per hour through the filter. So, a 10 gallon tank would need a filter that has capacity to filter 100gph. Check out the article pinned to the top of this forum (the second one) and that should help you determine what size you need for one (or two filters each with 50% of your total).

Make sure, if you get Eheim, you get the double isolating valves (or that they come with the filter) to help when you have to clean it out.

Archived