Ack! Sampson Is Shredding His Tail.

TamtheLittleBlackMoor

Aw man, my handsom Black orchid DT/HM is shredding his tail and driving me bonkers! :krazy: He started this on monday and has taken out half his cadual and anal fins. I feed him every day 3-6 live tubifex worms, his temp is a fluxing 78-82*F and shares his tank with two other males, divided mind you. I'm at a loss at what to do. :( Is there anything that'll make him stop this bad habbit?

Guest Jenna68

You could try to put him out of sight of other males but mine do this too even tho they cant see anyone. I dont really know why they do that...... :unsure:

cath

All I've got are small acrylic 1 gallons for QT, and those can't be heated with what I have so he's got nowhere else to go. Maybe he's a psychotic/skitzo? I'll add a tad of salt to kill of parasites, but this is such a disturbing thing to witness.

One of mine did that, too. I don't know what caused it, but he did stop doing it. I think what happened is that his tail got so short he could really see if anymore, and he stopped. His tail did grow back and he didn't do it again.

I know how frustrating this is :exactly

I am new to bettas, so I just want to be certain I understand.  He is tearing his own fins?

362373[/snapback]

Yes, tail shredding or bitting is a terrible and annoying habbit. In my opinion I think it starts when a bettas fins become too long for them and the betta will eventual twist around to chew them off or they have neorlogical (damage to the psyche) where they feel the need to bite something, this can be caused by many things, stress and trauma being the most common. Alot of the show bettas people purchase over seas are shipped and become extremely stressed out which leads to the neorlogical damage. Most get over this but some don't. First time it's ever happened to any of mine, but it still drives you nuts with worry.

Touchofsky - Thank you! I hope he goes the same path as yours. I don't mind regrowing it so long as he doesn't chew it off again.

Good luck!  At least with rot you can treat it.  :(   Too bad you can't get those little collars (cones) for dogs and cats that are small enough for a betta.

362529[/snapback]

HAHA! Oh my, I think to have a satellite (nick name for the cones) on a betta would be hilarious in itself. :rofl Thank you, that picture made my whole day Akk0415.

Archived