Please Advice

Guest alison6767

Guest alison6767

i am new to this forum and have read quite a few post before registering ...i have found you al very friendly and helpful

now we have a pond with the fish we used to have in a juwel tank and they have now grown quite big

we have got a a couple of what we think males chasin a lionhead and also our biggest goldfish

we was told to put a spawning mop in :yeah: for the fish to spawn onto

now we have had it in for over a week now and they have been being chased into it and i have now took the mop out as all the fish are now keep goin to it and look as if they are trying to feed off it

the mop is white and i have seen some little clear balls on it but what im wondering now is ........... shall i just leave the mop in the bucket with the pond water that i put in it or do they need to go back in or in a tank :crp do i need to shake the mop ??????????????/

sorry but this is all new to me as i have never been really interestes in it , it was always my hubby that sorted them but this has really taken my fancy

hope you can help

Guest yabbie

Shortly after the goldfish lay the eggs on the mop... they will start to eat them. Generally they get busy at dawn or dusk, so if you see a lot of activity take the mop out as soon as it calms down.

I'd move the mop to the new permanent home of the fry, maybe the tank, with a bit of pond water. The tank doesn't need to be deep at first, new fry like to hang out in the shallows, but you can add water over the next few weeks.

Most of the eggs will hatch after 3-4 days, so you can remove the mops then and wash off the mouldy unfertilised eggs, and put them back in the pond if you want more fry. Of course you have to have more places to put them, or section off a piece of pond for them maybe with some small wire netting that the fry can swim thru but the adults can't. Adults can't really tell their own fry from mosquito larvae or any other tasty morsel so the fry will need hiding places to dash to.

you are almost there...definitely read the articles on this site about breeding...they give some good help on what to do with the new fry when they hatch. If you can, get a hold of some brine shrimp eggs and a hatchery soon.

Guest alison6767

i have had to put the mop back into the pond now and got out some of the eggs

there is some yellowy ones and clear ones :crp with black dots on them so i have brought them indoors now and will kepp an eye on them

Archived