Shy Little Butterfly

Lozbug

I got a red & white butterfly koi 5 days ago, and ever since she has been hiding in the fairy moss & watercress. Is this normal? non of my other fish when i got them have been this shy. She only comes out for a quick bite to eat then hides again.

some fish are more shy than others. They all have their own personalities, which is part of the fun. Of course when they're so shy that you hardly see them THAT is no fun. Hopefully he'll warm up to his new home soon. I have three koi that I hardly ever see and they've been in my pond for a little over two years! If I get a quick glimps of one of them once a week I am lucky. I know they are in the pond but that is about it. Then I have a fish that likes her belly rubbed. I love watching them!

Scott

Hi Loz,

Sounds like a kohaku! :D Good advice from Scott. Koi tend to be a bit on the scardy side for a bit when added to a new environment. Give it time to settle in. :D They need to adjust to the environment and you also.

I'll look forword to pics when it gets over being so bashful! :D

Thank guys, i was a bit worried as non of the oters have been as shy. She came out for feeding tonight, but hid when she was full i assume.

she is the cutest thing thou!! i have decided to call her 'Spice' i thought she might not feel as welcome as i hadn't named her, so now i have :D

Archived