Moor Eats Bubbles!

Guest mingus

Guest mingus

My Black Moor, Maurice, has a problem with swim bladder disease. I believe that he gets it because he always goes to the top of the tank and eats the bubbles that float up there from the air pump. I have been successful in ridding him of his ailment several times, but he still insists on eating air bubbles. None of my other goldfish do this, and none of them ever have swim bladder troubles. I only feed my fish sinking food (a wide variety including fresh, frozen, and dried), and I soak it all before I feed them. This hasn't helped. I've even tried to put my finger in the water near him to scare him away from the air bubbles, but it doesn't work. He simply swims around checking my finger out and saying hello before going back to eating the bubbles. He is my favorite fishy, and I really want to help him with his swim bladder problems. Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep Maurice from eating bubbles?

Thank you.

:hi and :welcome

Hmmm... I don't know my goldies eat bubbles from the surface all the time and it never caused them to get swimbladder. Maybe something else is causing it. In order to give a better answer we would need to now your tank size how many fish are in it, ammonia levels, ph, nitrate and nitrites ect.... This should really be posted in the disease and diagnosis section. Maybe one of the mods would move it there for you.

Hopefully someone would come along that could help you better. :)

Guest danielle92

My fish Apple does that and s/he is fine when he sees a bubble he will eat it but then I don't know why he does that. I thought it was normal? Or is it?

Maybe he is just playing!

Maybe he needs more air. GN started doing that (he never used to) adn I was worried he would get a swimbladder problem so I put in an airstone. Now, he doesn't gulp bubbles at the top anymore!

Do you have any surface agitation or anything that would provide more O2? :)

Archived