Jump to content

Mosquito Larvae - Finrot?


akk0415

Recommended Posts

  • Regular Member

Winter had been healing great with the maracyn's in the water then I gave him a mosquito larvae that I scooped up in a small test tube. Next day, he was shredding again. :crp I figured he is so sensitive that the small bit of water that had .25ppm ammonia and .5 ppm nitrite set him off. So he again began to heal. 2 days later I give him a larvae without the water this time and boom again he is shredding. Could there really be some correlation between these larvae in my currently fishless barrel and the shredding I am seeing on Winter's tail? I swear, if I look at him crosseyed his tail just falls apart. He really loved those squirmy guys. :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

I dont know if this can happen, but maybe he has developed an allergy to the larvae? Are you using the same larvae every time, because maybe it has something on it, like really small parasites...i dunno... :idont

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

This is the first time I ever let him have a live treat like that. I think this fish is the same as those kids we knew in our childhood who couldn't eat chocolate, drink milk, etc., because EVERYTHING made them sick. I always felt so sad for them. Now the finrot is progressing again. I had things under control for a couple of weeks. People say everything happens for a reason. Winter and I are together for a purpose, I guess I just need to embrace his rotting "specialness"... and forget about treats. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Being one who feeds her bettas soley on live foods, I have to say I don't think the maggot is inflicting the fin rot. There is one breeder who swears by maggots on another betta forum, she though rinses them thouroughly and cultures them in sterile conditions. Maggots and grubs are generaly very healthy for bettas, but one must take percautions when feeding live foods because you are dealing with a whole mass of microscopic parasites and bacteria living on the living food.

You can experiment and stop feeding him maggots untill/if the fin rot clears up then start him on maggots again 3 months later to see if the fin rot returns. Other than that be sure to thouroughly rinse your live foods in one cup water with 1tsp. aquarium salt for 30 seconds then rinse them again in delorinated water before feeding to your fish.

Good luck with fighting the fin rot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...