Do Goldies Eat Ramshorn Snails

awrieger

These little guys are doing an absolutely brilliant job controlling the algae in my planted tank, so I was wondering if I could use them in my goldfish tanks? Or would I just be dooming them to becoming snacks?

Guest danielle92

No I don't think so I have snails in my goldie tanks since goldfish are kinda dirty. Thats why my tank looks clean. My goldfish are orandas. There so cute!

Hey AW,Goldies will eat the smaller ones,and any eggs that they find.Believe it or not,that's a good thing.It will control your Ramshorn's from mass producing,which only takes a couple months for that to happen. I have Ramshorn's in one of my Goldie Tanks,and they're fine.Like I said though,make sure that they're not baby sized when you put them in there.They should be fine then. :D

I don't have a ramshorn but my goldies tried to eat my mystery snails' tentacles and he's pretty large so really I would say it depends on the temperment of your goldies so I would add you snail and watch it very carefully to see if your goldies will be naughty or nice.

dont just drop them in when you do add them, then the fish will zoom around sucking them down :blink: try to discreetly put them down and let them crawl away into the plants or something.

Thanks everybody. :)

Devs, I'm concerned if a snail is crawling across the glass or a broad leaf, they'll peck at it anyway. Are their shells strong enough to handle this? Do you find your fish try to eat them and just leave them alone after that?

I thought about that Christi! Just dropping them, the goldies would think it's feeding time! I was thinking about just hiding them in the more bushy plants at first so they can hide a bit.

IMO rams have the strongest shells. Mine are for sale on aquabid.com right now if you want em too! They're preteen age, so they'll live for awhile. I have tons of babies too. :lol:

I still notice my fish going up to the Brigs in the tank,doing slight nibbles.I think that it only takes a second or two,and then they realize it's not food. I made the mistake of "Pouring" Little baby Rubberlips into the tank.To my horror ,they thought that they were food,and went after them til the end. :cry1 I

I made the mistake of "Pouring" Little baby Rubberlips into the tank.To my horror ,they thought that they were food,and went after them til the end. :cry1

Oh no!! I feel terrible for you, Sharon! That must have been devastating! :(

Okay, I'll take evryone's advice and add the snails (slowly!). I'll still have them breeding in the planted tank so there'll be an endless supply of them anyway, I suppose. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I can confirm it depends on the individual fish, just like with eating plants.

Two fish in one tank totally searched them out and gulped them all up (I think the second fish learned from the first one which ate a snail), while two fish in another tank ignore them even up to the point of spitting them out like a little rock if they get one in their mouth while eating.

Goldfish are just like people. They're all different personalities.

Archived