Come Read This!

sandy

I was reading an article in a fish magazine and though i cant retype everything i thought some of it may interest you.

the writer of this article went to Guangdong in Thailand to go see bruce the legendary ornada who is in the guiness book of records for being the longest oranda at an amazing 17.1 inches.

the farm is owned by Tung Hoi Aquarium Company. Tung Hoi own 3 fish breeding farms and they are always breeding new variants and colours. One of these is a black and white ryukin and a black, white and red one. These apparently are now being put on the market, so keep your eyes peeled!

This article went into great depth about the breeding of these types of fish and the health of them in general.

There are over 100 varieties of fancy goldfish being produced at this farm and as well as the usual types and colours there were blue pearlscales and these are extremely rare. There were panda pearlscales too.

Another odd thing the writer found was two types of ranchus being farmed. One for the japanese market and the other for the chinese and western market. The japanese ranchu has a blunt straight head when viewed from above and the chinese one is more rounded.

also seen were purple, yes purple, ranchus and moors with or without telescope eyes, butterfly or normal tails, black,red, white, black and white, black and gold bodies and fins, etc. These are the varieties already available and theres more in the pipeline.

for the canadian market they are developing a double tailed moor just for them.

as the writer was in the area he went to see bruce himself in his huge pond. The fish he says was bigger than the 17 inches already recorded but the owner of him wont be measuring him again he said. Apparently they can only put one or two other fish with him for a short while before he gets bored with them and gets aggressive!

the only pic i can put up is the red,white and black ryukin as the pic was taken at the aquaria china show in 2004.

if anyone wants the others pm me and i will send them. i have a top view of the red tosakin, bruce,blue pearlscale, golden red eyed oranda,chinese and japanese ranchus. these are pics of pics so not top quality.

heres the ryukin

P7140976.jpg

That sounds really cool, intersting article sandy, thankyou :)

I would love a black and white lil fishy, would be cute, but the purple fishy, sounds a bit artificial to me, cool, but i dont know, I think id have to see it in person :)

Thanx for informing us sandy :D

mixed up my pics sorry, the purple would probably be a different hue to the blue and may look purple in a certain light. sounds interesting though.

Panda is a very metallic silvery white. Quite odd. I think the purplish sheen is just a reflection of the tank lights.

edit: I have seen a "pink" pearlscale in another online catalogue. The scales were sort of translucent with rosy pink undertones that seemed to be the skin colour shining through. The breeder assured the viewers these were not artifically coloured fish, just clever breeding.

Guest Esareh

They do! Its a light/dark thing. Cutie-pie looks sunny and bright and happy! and Pandagirl looks more dark and mysterious (in that picture anyway)

daryl its a uk magazine called todays fishkeeper, if you want the mag then i would be happy to post it to you and it could go around america for anyone else interested!

I'm sorry, but Tung Hoi is in Guangdong, China.

I am lucky enough to get a look at a lot of their good specimens in the show tanks in Hong Kong.

Nice fish aren't they.

Slugger :)

ooops sory, for some reason i got thailand in my head. :huh:

you are so lucky to get to see the fish, they must be really beautiful up close.

Purple is actually a color variant of the chocolate coloration. I have seen some purplish pom poms before and they were just beautiful. I would absolutely love to see the blue pearlscale! Im trying to get a blue everything in my collection. LOL

I for one would love to see that magazine, too. But then it would just make me want everything.

Archived