Fin Rot

Maceo

All of my guys have fin rot. They are in a ten gallon that's been running for nine months I not sure about the other parameters but my ph is 7 I have three fish in there but am setting up a 55 gallon right now for them so hopefully they'll pull through and get in their new big home . What do I need to do? Water changes and Maracyn and Maracyn 2? I haven't added any new fish at all.

Hi Maceo, if you are setting up your 55g then I strongly suggest you get yourself some test kits. They are marvelous things, I wonder how I managed without them. If you see anything strange with the fish you can test your water on the spot and immediately find out if it is bad water quality causing the problem. Also while you are cycling a new tank it's recommended to test the water everyday to make sure the ammonia/nitrItes don't get out of control. The mains ones to buy are ammonia, nitrIte and you can get nitrATe a few weeks later.

If you are setting up the 55g in the next few days I wouldn't medicate just yet. You may find that once your fish are in new, clean water they will heal themselves. If not, you can change 60% water in your 10g and transfer the fish back there to treat with meds.

edit: in the meantime until the 55g is set up you could change 25% of your 10g water daily and dose with salt at .1%. That is one level teaspoon of salt per gallon. You can use aquarium salt, rock salt, sea salt, kosher salt. Salt is a general tonic and stress reducer.

Guest waheeda

Just wanted to mention that if you decide to treat for finrot, you may want to try Melafix. I have used it for finrot on my goldfish and my tropical fish and it works wonders.

Ok I just got a new test kit and here are my params

Nitrates: 80

Nitrites:0

Hardness: 50 (moderate)

Alkalinity: 0

Ph:7

I went to the LFS and they gave me jungle brand fungus away and said this was the best way to go so I came home and treated them. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this does the trick!

Hi . Normally when you start seeing any kind of Tail/Fin rot,it's a sign of Poor Water Quality. You of course are overstocked with three fish in a ten gal. tank,so you'll have to do more water changes than you're doing. How often do you change out the water,and how much? Your NitrAtes are reading a little higher than should be.I also see no test results for Ammonia. Doing water changes more frequently alot of the time will often help heal that Tail/Fin Rot right up,without the use of medicine. :)

The fungus away seems to be working really well they aren't lethargic any more ...so far so good let's hope I can get my 55 gal up and running this weekend! Do you think that I can add my fish after about four days? if my levels are ok and all?

Almost all the fungus is gone now! I must have caught it really early. I have a question about feeding them should I? I didn't feed them yesterday but should i feed them today?

That's really good news, keep up the daily water changes whilst still in the 10g. I think your plan for the 55g sounds good.

Feed them a small amount and if they eat it, give them another small amount later.

I fed them a little and they ate like the pigs that they normally are so I'll feed them some more later today. Thanks so much everyone for all of the help! :heart

Archived