Sign in to follow this  
Guest jimmy_396_jimmy

How Sad Do You Get......

Guest jimmy_396_jimmy

i don't cry but i feel really down when a fish of mines die....

Depends who dies - if GN died - I would go nuts! :krazy::cry1

When one of my Danios died - I felt badly for it but I didn't think about it too much! :(

When my Betta died I was heartbroken! We had a lovely funeral in Rock Creek Park where he was "buried" in the pond... :cry1

For me it seems to have a lot to do with the level of interaction I have with the pet, which, of course, includes the amount of care they require.

I bawl my eyes out.... then have a headache for the rest of the day :blink:

I remember going into my lfs and seeing some baby moors just being flung around the tank by the filter outflow - they were half dead. Then the young girl came up to me and asked if she could help and i said "only if you can make these fish well". As soon as she told me she'd have to put them in the freezer - I got teary.... then brought 3 of them home.

I still smile when I look at how they've grown :D

yeah, it really depends on how much that particular one was loved. when I just started keeping gf(before I knew anything about them) I had a whole bunch of comets that died(but I hadn't had them for very long) and I was sad but didn't cry or anything. If Dusty or Dart died I would be really really sad, but if Lucky or the new fish died I wouldn't be as sad because I havn't had them as long and hence I am not as attached to them.

well when coral died, i cried about it for hours.

even a couple of days later i would cry thinking about it!

I guess I'm the same as most. It is always sad and frustrating to loose a fish. All my fish get the same level of care when they are sick, be they new or old, large or small. But to loose a special fish is very heartbreaking.

Edited by Fishmerised

If it's a fish that was really important to me that died I usually cry and cry and cry (usually lasts longer than an hour) and then I take her out and I give her a funeral outside. Then I cry a little bit more. I mope around for hours and all I can think about is crying but I don't/. cry1

But if it's a fish that I wasn't very attached to (but I still loved them of course!) I usually don't cry that much if not at all, but I feel very bad.

Guest Esareh

It all depends. If I had a fish I just bought and it died, id be sad, but not as sad as if I had that fish for a few months. I usually cry my eyeballs out and get all depressed.

I used to have aquababies at age like 10. When these little baby fishies died after about 8months of owning them and the snail. I crieddd and cried and cried and they werent even dead yet but i knew they were dying cause they couldnt eat. I wouldnt stop crying, it was so depressing that in the last few hours of each of their lives my mother had to put a cloth over the tank so i couldnt watch em suffer. I loved em. My dad buried them all in the garden next to each other.

R.I.P Fara and Zara the fish, and Flossie the snail :(

Now I have two calico orandas, have had em for four months, they are significantly bigger than my old fishys, and if they died, I actually think I would die... no jokes I love em sooo so much. When Chuchu was ill and he was floating upside down at the top of the tank, and gave up trying to flip over, I cried loads cause I thought he was gonna die.

Guest waheeda

Like everyone else it depends on the fish, how long you've had it and also what you've been through with it.

Recently my partner and I had to euthanize a Severum that we had for over a year. It was really tough but we knew there were no more options for treatment and that he would just wither away and die. My partner was really upset and it took him some time to come to terms with the decision. I was okay because I found it harder to watch the fish degenerate day by day.

I also lost a favorite goldfish about a month ago who I had had over a year as well. I didn't cry but I still miss her ugly little face...

Not much you can do when they die. I feel like no matter what you do for them (making a great habitat etc) you'll never know what it's like to be a fish, it's a whole other world. I think as long as your informed and you know you did the best you can for the fish, you can be at peace with it's death.

When my Red Cap Merlin died a year or so ago I cried so hard I threw up. I was really attached to him, I rescued him from a toilet(long story) when he was 1-2" and then he grew so much over the next 3 years and then when he died so suddenly without reason it was to much for me. I was heartbroken, and I'm still not totally over it

Since then I only had one og my little babies die. But he was sick for a while so I was sort of prepared, but I still cried a lot.

Edited by Merluvee

I bawl my eyes out before they even die..when they first start showing symptoms of a serious illness, and definately when they stop eating :cry1

Guest jimmy_396_jimmy

o man it really sucks since i had like four fish i had for a year die a while ago....

Yah...mine always come with disease and they all die within two weeks :( I'm hoping my new fishy won't have the same fate, but he's sick too

when my celestial went sick and passed away, I felt like a failure for not being able to save him... :cry1

Depends on how close I am to the fish, I had some that it like Dangit...

A few, such as tony or palmer, was more fustrating then out right sad since I wasn't able to help them...

If Jack died...I would be quite upset!

I always cry when one of my fish dies and feel so down for a long time.... :(

I get pretty worked up myself!!

I guess there is sorta a difference for me compared to losing a dog that I have had since he was a puppy to a fish....If you all know what I mean...(it's not meant in a mean tone)

Like for example just to save my butt here.....I didn't really get sad when my gouramis died but if my GF died on me I would be really upset I think because I have spent time and money to get everything just right for them so they have a nice fish life here!!!

But if my dog died that would prolly be worse since he is the one I actually get to pet and play with and goes everywhere with us.....I hope everyone understands what I mean here......

All in all I do get upset when my fish pass I haven't had one go on me yet.....*knocks on wood*

Fish, dogs, cats, mice, they are all dear to my heart in some special way...... :wub:

I get very emotional...so much so I have to make myself fall asleep so I can calm down! Oh it's horrible! I'm not even able to take them out of their tank, my fiancee has to do it, because to hold them, and feel them unmoving, when usually their wiggling all about, just kills me. I know what you mean Lillypetal, about just wanting to die too; I've becaome so attached to my Moor Darth, that I can't even stand the thought of....I can't even write it! :cry1

Guest jimmy_396_jimmy

ya i can't sleep knowing a fish is sick.....

Yah..I've been waking up at 5:30 every morning to check on my baby. This week I get about 6 hours of sleep a night.

Crickey - to be honest, I bawl my eyes out when I hear a sad story here at Koko's.... I can't tell you how many times I cried when Cathy (coyote ugly) lost her beautiful little fish and then there was the sad fight for hamilton9's fish Marty - that left me completely gutted :cry1

Kissy - I think your little guy will do just great.... once we get some meds into him :)

Edited by JenW

Kissy--- Your little guy is so strong!!! I hope you get the meds soon.

When one of my fish dies.... I get very depressed, almost to the point of crying. I did that to my 3 day old bubble eye. I think I failed my duty, and I feel like skum when I have to flush em'. I look at my others and everything is cool again. :)