KANYA - girl - f

KLAHAN - brave

KULAP - rose f

LAWAN - beautiful f

MONGKUT - crown - m

PAKPAO - kite - f

SUNAN - good word

Guest yabbie

There are thousands of Thai names... and really interesting ways of naming children. It's fascinating.

I left out the really normal ones like Tran etc, and went for romantic sounding names.

Just run "Thai names" thru go0gle and you'll get tonnes... and half of them will be in English instead of script. :huh:

Post some new ones here if you find them.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest yabbie

Someone was asking about names in another thread... and then I found this great explanation of how Thai people make up names... thought someone would be interested:

Making up your own Thai names

I have Chailai (pretty) and Kulap (rose - don't tell Kulap I gave him a girl's name! It's his fault for being rose coloured!).

Guest yabbie

Yes from the Tran dynasty... very popular.

I wonder if the name Tran hasn't spread to Cambodia, Thailand and Laos too... there sure are a lot of Trans about.

Hey, yabbie.... thanks for posting some of those names. After I read them, I searched for more Thai names. Then, a day or two later I got two new Bettas! I named them Niram and Kasem!

:happydance

• 1 month later...

Okay, joining Kulap, Chailai and the banger sisters (they don't get their own names because they're too crazy)...

I have chosen the names... Ratana, Suchin, Sunee, Mongkut and Pakpao.

Good name, huh? Nice and strong, polynesian sounding. She's a strong looking girl.

I love it because it uses common syllables of that south pacific where I grew up.

finally found one. an english-thai dictionay can be found at http://www.thai-language.com/dict/

it even has a thing where you can hear the words pronounced (so you know what your new betta's name sounds like as well). now you can name your betta what ever you want and still give it a thai twist.

jen chose bplianroh

Archived