Pom Pom Black Moor?

fishies724

Welcome to Koko's !!!! :D

A great number of goldfish will have pompom on their noses. There is a small flap of skin over the nasal cavity on all goldfish. In many it is just that - a simple flap. In others, it branches out into a multi-lobed protuberance known as a "pompom". Mixed heritage and general differences in genetics can create poms that are just a few "lobes" big, squat and full, or large and floating. When they are a distinctly different color than the face of the fish, they are very obvious.

ALmost all my fish have at least rudimentary poms, with particularly large ones on my celestials, demekins and ranchu. My big oranda has squat, extremely full ones. A friend of mine has a large oranda with large, loose ones that disturbingly are sucked in and out through the fish's mouth as he works his gills. (This is considered a minor "fault" - for it is distracting to the overall appearance of the fish). One of my celestials has such large poms that what little eye sight he may have had is almost completely obscured by the ruffled appendages!

Poms are easily damaged by being sucking into the filter intake grid and torn - sometimes completely off. If the poms on your fish are particularly ponderous, it is a good idea to have a secondary grid to hold the fish away from the intake.

:)

Our "big" lfs has a full tank full of chocolate pompoms with bright orange/red poms. They are kinda pretty. Some of them are oranging out, and most have badly mismatched poms, but they were certainly very interesting!

I do like poms on a fish - but the rest of the fish is a lot more interesting! :)

Archived