New 55 Gallon!

Maceo

Ok so I was a Wal Mart tonight and I was purusing the fish stuff looking for some more freezedried tubifex worm cubes (man my goldies love 'em) and I saw it.....a 55 gallon with a lighted hood and a filter for 148 dollars (it was like 158 with tax by the way) and I freaked out I had to have it! So of course I bought it I mean who needs books next semester anyway? :unsure: But now I have some questions:

1. The box says to add 50 pounds of gravel is this right?

2. The filter is 330 gph is that alright?

3. Should I add the water from my current tank (10 gallons) to my new tank to help it cycle?

4. Should I add my fish right away?

5. What length bubble wand you reccomend? My fish love the one I have now and I definatly want another one for them

I'm sure I'll think of more later but thanks for the advice!

Guest Chishower

Ahhh you lucky, lucky person!

With a 55, you really want 550gph but can you move your old filter over with the new filter? That should help.

I would wait till its cycles to add the fishies, you can help speed that along with a good healthy dose of filter gunk.

I probably just get another filter to add to the tank so I can keep my ten gallon as a quarentine tank when I want to add new fish or I might even put my betta there who knows.. And yeah I did see that stand it was expensive! I have a big sturdy wooden table I rescued from my mother's school when they were remodeling to use for my new aquarium! Man I'm so excited!!!!

50 pounds of gravel sounds like a bit much.....it would be very hard to clean being that deep...i would start with maybe 30 or so? then you can add to it if you like it deeper.

You might actually consider doing this tank bare bottomed - for it makes it sooooo much easier to move at the end of the school year. Regardless, 50 pounds of gravel is very excessive. If you are not going to plant it with real plants, you only need enough gravel to cover the floor - just enough to please your aesthetic sense. The gravel will do little for the tank other that make it attractive.

Your lion's share of all biological filtration resides in the filter you have on your 10 gallon right now. Depending on what sort of filter it is, and how long you have before you are going to be moving this tank, you can use this in several ways.

The Penquin 330 will not be enough filtration for a 55 gallon tank. A nice long tank like that will benefit greatly by having two filters, set at opposite ends of the tank. This will help to eliminate pockets of semi-circulated water. You want to aim at 10 times turnover of your water every hour - or 550 gallons per hour in filtration at least. The closer you will be to fully stocked, and the less work you want your tank to be, the more filtration you should introduce. I usually try for 15 times an hour - or 825+ gph for a 55 gallon tank. There are very few filters that can do this by themselves, so you will need another filter.

The Penguin 330 is an excellent filter. It is one of my favorites. What you can do to get a rudimentary cycle started is to buy the media you intend to use to fill the baskets at the back (ceramic cylindars, lava rock, bio balls, sintered glass) and put it in a baggie in the bottom of your 10 gallon tank right now. If your filter you have on the 10 now holds bio media of this form, you can put it right in the filter (even better, for the constant flow of oxygen rich water around it will colonate the media even faster).

You are definately going to want to try to get the 330 filter cycled before you move to college housing. Changing large volumes of water every day when you are starting classes is not where you want to be!!!!

AS far as an additional filter, an Emperor 400 would be an excellent addition - giving you 730gph - enough filtration for just about anything you want in the tank. Emperor also makes a 280 - a great filter, too - that is smaller in length. It does 280 gph - giving you 610 gph - sufficiant for most applications. The Penguins and Emperors all have extra places for extra bio-media - absolutely invaluable and wonderful!

What a great new tank!!! It sounds so exciting! :)

Guest msedlack29

Congrats on your new tank. I bought the same wal mart tank you did. The only problem with the kit you bought is that the filter that come with it is a cheap version of the penquin 330. It does not come with media baskets or bio wheels. I run a penquin 330 on my tank plus the nnnnnn version. This way i have my bio wheels, media baskets, plus extra mechanical filtration from the nnnnnn filter.

It is a great starter kit. It got me back into the hobbie after 10 years.

Hi guys, just dropping by to advise that Maceo's 3 fish in the 10g have finrot. (see diagnosis/discussion)

I have advised that rather than treat the fish in the 10g with medication she should see how they go once in the new tank. In new clean water they may heal themselves with some added salt.

Of course, it would be necessary to monitor ammonia/nitrItes daily plus small daily water changes. What does anyone else think?

Excellent idea. If there are fewer than 4 fish, the 55 gallon tank should not be too difficult to maintain. Salt and a good quantity of clean, balanced water should go VERY far to clear up infections! :)

Thanks for the advice guys I really appericate it. I went ahead a treated my guys because i'm not sure how long it's gonna be before I can get my 55 gal set up. I'm lucky that I can live at home which is only 10 minutes away from campus so I don't have to worry about moving this monster when fall semester starts. I think I am gonna stick with gravel but cut it down to thirty pounds or so thanks for that suggestion smack I thought about a bare bottom but I just like the way gravel looks. ANy suggestions on the size bubble wand or curtain I need to get? Oh and I will most definatly look into getting a penquin filter thanks so much guys! Oh one more question has anyone used this stuff called Stablity? They told me at the LFS that it works wonders on cycling tanks anyone tried it?

ive never even heard of stability. :blink: im with you, i love the look of gravel. i dont mind vaccing it actually, i like all the fishie kisses while my arm is in there. :) bare bottom is too stark for me. i have it in one tank, and i dontlike it at all.

now you just gotta get it set up and take pix!!

as for your bubbles, i would maybe get a double outlet air pump, and have 2 maybe, 12 - 18 inch bubble bars? i have 2 18 inch ones in my 40 gallon, they LOVE them! that way with 2 outlets, you wont have to monkey around with gang valves and all that crap! :D

Two bubble curtains what a good idea my fish will love that they love playing in the one in their current tank. I'm thinking about going with the whole ancient ruins theme because I'm an art history major speacializing in ancient art so I think that would be awesome :D Oh and by the way I read on the Stabilizer and it's made here in Georgia so maybe it's not widely distributed? Anyways I'll give it a try and keep a very close watch on my water params.

Guest moTIGS

I was actually about to post a similar question. I have the same Wal Mart 55 with three goldfish in it. It's been up and running for quite awhile now, but the filter really makes me mad. It's really not very good at all. I was gonna ask for suggestions regarding a good, relatively cheap replacement or second pump and everything I need to know is in this thread.

Now, all I need to do is get some money.... I should be getting a paycheck from my new job soon, but after two weeks no one's even told me when/how I get paid...

Guest Phreno

The penguin 350 or 330 filters are very nice indeed. They're probably your best value from big al's or something. I :heart my penguin filters.

Archived