Stupid Stupid Stupid!

smack536

so ive been trying to find ways to hold my plants(fake) down in my barebottom tank and the sanil tank, and i bought all these river rocks from nnnnnn. I hot glued them together, stuck the plants on, and voila! looked perfect....so i stuck them in last night after my water changes, and by this morning, all the freakin glue and come apart, the rocks were in piles, the plants were floating, and there were crumbs of glue drifting around the tanks!!!!!!!!! :blink: this never happened to me before! ive always had good luck with hot glue on stuff like this.. :angry:

anyways, and other ideas on how i can re-do this? i absolutely hate the silicon sealant, i hate working with the stuff....is there any other glues (waterproof hot glue?!) that i could use?? :unsure:

Unfortunately, the rubber in rubber bands will break down, the string, unless it is nylon or such, will also break down.

Aquarium Sealant is really the best option you have - it is designed for use underwater and will not deteriorate over time when submerged.

It is not much harder than hot melt glue to use. Just cut the tip off fairly sharply if you wish to have more control. Work over a piece of wax paper - it will not stick to that. Stick your rocks on, and set it aside, sitting on the wax paper. Every day, go take a good long sniff - when it stops smelling like vinegar, it is properly cured and can be used in the tank usually 1-3 days.

Cleanup with acetone or paint thinner to take the excess off your hands if you goof and get it messy. :)

Guest Esareh

OH! now you tell us how to get it off! My hands were water resestant for like, a week after I used that stuff. I use latex gloves now though =D

That stinks :angry:! I am sure it looked great before it disappeared, though! :)

How about using fishing line - or the nylon string (as mentioned by Daryl) that they sell in harware stores for hanging pictures or plates (not too expensive) - to tie the plants to the suction cup - then weigh the suction cup down with some rocks?! Easy to clean, not very visible, moveable as desired, fixed as desired.

Just a thought... Can't wait to see how it all looks! :D

use aquarium sealent! plus we know its safe for water use. its the best thing.. that stuff holds ANYTHING together! (we use it to put peices of the wall back together at work! lol!)

Archived