Help

Guest Queen

Guest Queen

Posting on behalf of a friends pond.

Looking after it while they are on holiday, went round other day and his prize koi was stuck in the lining.

Got it out, but it just lays on the bottom, gills and fins flapping. It leans to one side and if breathing rather fast. Also, it is nearly floating upside down.

I got a net and held him next to oxygenated water for a while. Could this have hurt or stressed him more ?

What can i do ? All other fish are fine. Don't know water stats it isn't my pond.

I hope the fish is only stressed and will recover soon. Once one of my fish was sucked up in the gravel vac, it was only there for less than a minute but the experience totally messed it up for a few hours. It was acting like the fish you describe.

If it doesn't recover in a few hours post back with more details such as how big is the fish? how long is your friend going to be away? do you a container if necessary to treat the fish in? Also water parameters would be extremely useful just to determine if something sent the fish into a panic.

HI Queen,

Good of you to be helping a friend out. :D This guy could stand to be in a QT. A nice large rubbermaid container will do the trick, lots of air, bubble stone or wand. I'd bring the salt level up to 0.3%. Any salt will do as long as it has no binders or YPS. Rock salt, canning salt, sea salt. 1 tsp per gl = 0.1%, so it will be gradually added 3 times about 12 hours apart.

Sounds like he had little air getting through with the entrapment and might have interfeared with the osmotic process not to mention stressed.

Dechlor/ammo binder the water, match the temp. The water will have to be watched though as ammonia builds quickly.

I'll check with some of the Koi experts over at Koivet also and see what they recomend and say! :D

Hi Queen,

I brought the problem before the board at Koivet and asked speciafically for Adminstration, REC & Moderator Graham. Here's there replies:

Kathy,

This ain't good. Anytime a fish gets trapped like that, including be stuck nose-first into a transport bag, it degrades significantly its ability to move water through its mouth and over the gills. This results in reduced O2 to the blood stream, not to mention the stress that this fish probably went through to free itself. If this were mine, a) I would kick myself for creating this trap in the first place B) salt the water just to see if we can calm him down and up his ability to use his gills properly c) kick myself somemore..

You can edit this appropriately to your friend.. but the bottom line is that there is no "cure" for this except to leave the fish be in pristine, salted water. Salt to .15 or .2 should be good. And tell the keeper of the friend;s pond to test water.. if something else is wrong, the already stressed fish won't stand a chance.

REC

The only other thing that I would do, other kicking myself is add a slow steady stream of pure O2, if available. Getting the O2 up may?? help

G

Look after your water...the fish will look after themselves

You can take a sample of water to just about any pet store & have it tested. If you QT the fish, make sure there is a grate/net over the top so it can not jump out.

It will also need some kind of filtration to keep the water as clean as possible. A good air pump & air stones or bubble bars......

Please do point the spot out to the owner, those flaps can be sealed with good old Aquarium sealer so it doesn't happen again!

I do hope the fish makes it ok! Let us know how it goes and if you get the water checked what the results are, do tell them you need numbers.

Archived